Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New at this...please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2005 15:04

I have been able to track back my fathers family to 1881. This I suppose has been quite easy with the online census info. Now I am stuck. My G Grandmother was 7 in 1881. The census says she was born in Carlisle. her father was from Leeds. Can anyone suggest where I take it from here? Kind Regards Karen

Heather

Heather Report 7 Mar 2005 15:10

You could check your grans birth ref and get her birth cert for £7 from GRO online. It would give her dads name and occupation and her mums maiden name. You could then look for their marriage and get info on their fathers and so on backwards through marriage death and birth certificates. Depends on how much research you intend to do really and what you actually want to know. You can always ask help from people on the records office board who have specific cds for areas/dates. I take it you used the free 1881 census info? ancestry sub is about £70 a year and you have access to the 1901, 1891, 81, 71 and shortly the 61 census. Also freebmd. If you read the info for newbies on the homepage it will give you an idea of whats available and how to find info.

Sarah

Sarah Report 7 Mar 2005 15:16

You can use freebmd to look up her birth and her parent's marriage and births. After that you will probably have to buy birth certs for the parents to find out who they were. I would really recommend buy a subscription to ancestry but if your funds don't run to that lots of us are more than happy to look things up for you- simply post a thread stating the name of the person, what area you are looking in and approx dates eg birth etc

Heather

Heather Report 7 Mar 2005 15:27

If you leave grans details someone may be able to find her birth ref for you on freebmd site - unless you want to have a go at finding it yourself?