Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help trying to get started please..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 7 Mar 2005 10:52

hi ya, im having trouble getting started and dont know where to go next, im trying to find my partners history for him, i know his mums birthday and have found that on 1837, and i think ive not got her mothers maiden name, ive searched and searched for her parents marriage certificate but cant find it, all i have is names and memories and no living relatives to ask that im aware of...how do i begin to look. any tips would be grateful. thanks michelle

Peter

Peter Report 7 Mar 2005 10:58

What is the maiden name it might of been miss-scribed (the curse of the researcher)

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Mar 2005 10:59

Hi Michelle, Aldous is quite an unusual surname and I think there is another person with that name on this site. Have you made contact? It could be helpful if you are related.

The Bag

The Bag Report 7 Mar 2005 11:02

Does he remember name of any grandparents? That would get us back nearer 1901? With such an unsual surname (assumong it is the one you used at the top) i guess any we found in the right sort of area would be helpful.What sort of area geographically are we looking at? AArrrgg, there are thousands of ALDOUS's in 1901! Jess

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Mar 2005 11:07

MICHELE IF YOU ORDER THE MUMS BIRTH CERT IT WILL GIVE YOU THE MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME AND FATHERS NAME. their marriage cert will give both fathers names to help you go back. then you can start looking for granparents marriage and birth certs hope this helps sandra

Paul

Paul Report 7 Mar 2005 11:09

hi, its a bit complicated, his mum had him outta marriage and lived with his grandparents till he was 7 then she married alan aldous and moved away.she died in 1989. his nan died when he was little but he does remember her name was joan (he thinks) his grandad was known as tom so im guessing he was a thomas but then could it be william? no idea what his dads name is but he does know he was italian and owned the local ice cream van. this all happened in barnet.

Paul

Paul Report 7 Mar 2005 11:11

oh forgot to add, through her birth ive found nans maiden name was stubbs. thanks for your replys...ive made it my mission now as hes been saying about it for 17 years lol im trying to find his birth names family which was knight, also now trying to order his mums birth certificate..

The Bag

The Bag Report 7 Mar 2005 11:26

can you tell us actual name that you know? jess

Heather

Heather Report 7 Mar 2005 11:33

Just out of interest (??) Aldous Icecreams still have vans in Norwich area.

Paul

Paul Report 7 Mar 2005 11:50

jess what name did you want to know? his birth name was paul knight his mums was carol eileen his grandads was tom/thomas or william? knight his nans we think was joan knight (nee stubbs). ive just had another look at his birth certificate and have the address too.

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Mar 2005 12:04

WHAT ARE THE APPROX YEARS OF BIRTH AND DO YOU KNOW WHICH AREA SANDRA

The Bag

The Bag Report 7 Mar 2005 12:10

thanks we, (or at least i) , were on the Aldous route!

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Mar 2005 12:10

carol eileen aldous died age 38 aug 1989 peterborough born 23 4 1951 ref 9 page 1008 peterborough

Paul

Paul Report 7 Mar 2005 12:24

sandra ive kept asking him what he can remember, he remembers his nan dying and he says he was under 5, im now trying to find her death date, ive ordered his mums certificate and her death certificate. ive tried looking for his grandads death but it only goes to 2002, hes said he will drive down soon and go to the workmans club he knows he went to he thinks it was in finchley, his grandad could still be alive... am i missing something do you think and should i be trying to go another route...never done anything like this before.

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Mar 2005 15:40

hi you've ordered two certificates that will get you started as this will confirm the grandmothers maiden name and grandfather. So then you will be able to go further back. You really need to find the grandparents marriage cert, as this will also take you back another generation and then you can start searching the census. you can go to the local record office and search the gro index free, check that they hold it. If your hubby was about 5 you have a rough year for searching the death. If you think grandfather is still alive you can search the electrol role on 192[.]com remove the bracket hope this helps sandra

Paul

Paul Report 9 Mar 2005 16:03

just an update, found the marriage certificate, also his nans birth and death and maiden name, his aunty and uncles birth, not his auntys death yet but its a start...struggling with his grandads birth think we worked out what year he was born but on that year there were two thomases but both had different middle initials to the one we were looking for but had the areas we think he was born which was edmonton and barnet....i guess ill get to the bottom of it one day lol