Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happens now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucy

Lucy Report 6 Mar 2005 21:34

I am trying to discover where my mothers family originated but have come up against a brick wall. Her grandfather was known in the family as Roland James Barnes and indeed that name appears on his sons birth certificate and his own death certificate. But at the address of these events, the householder is James Barnes. All other details match including other people in the household referred to as 'cousins' by my mothers father. What happens now? Do I assume it it correct or where can I go for further help? I have been trying to sort this problem for nearly seven (7) years. Any help would be truly appreciated. Many thanks Lucy Smith

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Mar 2005 21:39

This could very well be he. Not everyone used their first name, some even were known by a name they had picked up somewhere along the way and not been baptised with. Even today my son has problems with the names he was given and is known to all and sundry by his middle name. His own son, who is currently 3, has no idea of his dad's first christian name. Seems to me you have enough evidence to accept that you have him.

Crista

Crista Report 6 Mar 2005 21:40

Lucy, Do you mean he was listed as James in the census? Deaths Sep 1872 BARNES Roland James 33 St. Olave 1d 120 Crista

Mermar

Mermar Report 6 Mar 2005 21:41

Hi Lucy It sounds as if he was baptised Roland and didn't like the name, especially as all the others in the household match. Have you checked the electoral rolls for the intervening years. There just might be one occasion when he gave his full name by mistake.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Mar 2005 21:43

He may not have been elligable to vote and therefore would not appear on the electoral register Jeanette x