Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 6 Mar 2005 20:28

I've spent a little while at the local records office looking at some quite recent marriage index's. I have found 2 occasions in the 1990's of both partners having the same surnames. I accept they could be cousins, but I was wondering if 2 people live together before marrying would the wife already be using the mans suranme and marry with that name.

David

David Report 6 Mar 2005 20:42

Its not a usual name. Just had a suggestion from off site that the couple may have divorced and remarried.

Smiley

Smiley Report 6 Mar 2005 20:43

Some silly buggers do marry twice.... ;) My Dad did this, within a 3yr period, so second time it says his spouse has same surname as him. Sam

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 Mar 2005 20:45

My mum and dad did this too. Realised after the divorce that they did love each other after all so remarried each other.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Mar 2005 20:47

I changed my name by deed poll before the children were born so when we get married, we'll both have the same surname and my married name will be the same as the one I've been using for over 3 yrs already!

Tony

Tony Report 6 Mar 2005 20:59

Hi David I have the same thing in my family. I have a family member who was married, but was killed at dunkirk in WW2. His wife then went on to marry his twin brother a few years later. So i have marriage certs with john dennard married to margaret spearing then another cert with howard dennard married to a margaret Dennard. Family tree maker keeps showing it up as a potentiol error lol. Tony

David

David Report 6 Mar 2005 22:04

Thanks for all your suggestions. It does seem that the likely answer was that they divorced and remarried. But its made the more confusing, in that the surname given on the first wedding isn't the surname by which she was known