Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old photos of were you live.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 5 Mar 2005 19:15

found this site.................................................................. www.francisfrith.*com/pageloader.asp?............(remove*)..................................................................... 90,000+ photos of nearly any were in uk from as far back as 1890s. Found the address in one of the book I had for my Birthday.... Hampshire Revisited... by the same group

Peter

Peter Report 5 Mar 2005 19:18

Is this thread all right. on my computer its sticking out past Freddy mercury on the Right of page???????????? And if you can not find the add to boxs its the 'A' sticking out from Freddy just click on it.

Louise

Louise Report 5 Mar 2005 19:20

me too

Debby

Debby Report 5 Mar 2005 19:20

Peter What have you done???!!! It is on mine as well! LOL Debby

Sam

Sam Report 5 Mar 2005 19:21

It is on mine as well....glad its not just me! Sam

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Mar 2005 19:21

peter you have too many dots,you need to delete some of them Sue

Peter

Peter Report 5 Mar 2005 19:24

heres the address again as its half hidden. www.francisfrith.*com/pageloader.asp?

Peter

Peter Report 5 Mar 2005 19:25

Thanks Susan, removed some of them

Ria

Ria Report 5 Mar 2005 19:51

Worked for me 1st time, it's a really good site :) Maria

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 20:57

Just found some incredible shots of areas around Harwich including the lighthouse where my ancestor (possibly!) worked and several of the streets they lived in during the 1800's. Not looked for any other towns yet...have mentally spent about £50 just in Essex!

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 7 Mar 2005 00:18

Thank you Peter will have a look alice

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Mar 2005 08:16

I've used the Frith site in the past. It is great. Another good place to look for old pictures/ postcards of your areas is the local museum. Ours has something like 5000 postcards of the local area. I have a picture of my house in the 20's. On the corner of my road there was a coffee house and the owner had postcards produced of his shop. Thank you to Arthur Pickering and his general stores!

Joy

Joy Report 7 Mar 2005 11:39

Francis Frith photos are brilliant. His history is fascinating. :-) Joy

Joy

Joy Report 7 Mar 2005 11:46

Someone was asking about Nottingham. There are two books on the site about Nottingham, one of which is: NOTTINGHAMSHIRE LIVING MEMORIES Series: PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORIES Pages: 128 Size: 246 x 189 mm Cover type: Hardback Availability: In stock Price: £ 15.99 Lavishly illustrated with fine quality photographs from the world-famous Francis Frith Collection. Rich in detail this is a fascinating portrait of life and times long since changed. Hope this helps. I bought a similar one about Lambeth which I find fascinating. Joy