Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 5 Mar 2005 15:49

Hi - my names Pauline and need help desparately - does anyone know a really, really, really good Geneology web site? I am using Ancestry and www1837in line. I would like to know what other sites people are using.I accidently found a very good birth death and marriage site with good results, but unfortunately I cannot remember which site it was or where I found it. I have got back to the early 1800s on one side of my family tree but it is such a hit a miss affair, I was wondering if anyone out there could guide me to a very good site they have had good results from. Please

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 5 Mar 2005 16:02

Have you tried LDS site? familysearch(.)org

Heather

Heather Report 5 Mar 2005 16:19

Before civil registration in 1837 you have to start looking at Parish records. You can do that at the local records office for the areas you are interested in or you can look up your nearest LDS family records centre on the familysearch (Mormon) site and order the microfiche (if available for the parishes you are interested in) for a small fee. familyrelatives.org is a good site for bmd but it only has from 1866 online.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Mar 2005 18:12

Have you looked on your GR homepage? There's a link there to Useful links (or something like that), including this http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ which is one of my favourites. It has lots of useful links and they're really well-organised. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 18:18

Pauline Ancestry is good for census info LDS good for parish records & 1881 census Freebmd for bmds 1837-1910 After that, its really a case of getting to the relevant county records office/local history archive. Are you stuck on a particular area? nell