Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cause of death - convulsions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 4 Mar 2005 22:48

Hi Just received a death certificate today for my ggrandmother's sister who died aged 2. The cause of death is noted as convulsions. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could mean. I was thinking maybe she had a fit, possibly epileptic. Any other ideas?? Joanne

Julie

Julie Report 4 Mar 2005 22:51

Hi Joanne I would assume the same as you Epileptic fit or the child had a very bad fever which caused her to have a fit Julie

Rachel

Rachel Report 4 Mar 2005 23:01

Febrile convulsion are quite common when a childs temperature rises to high. If a childs temperature reaches 38.5 cecius they run the risk of fitting, if it reaches 40 they have usually fitted. Epilepsy is also quite common but it would not normally be diagnosed in a child of 2 partically years ago, but it varies in serverity. To have been recorded as convulsions it would have been pretty server.

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 4 Mar 2005 23:32

thanks for your ideas! joanne

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 5 Mar 2005 00:13

Could have been something like meningitis, which can cause convulsions. Perhaps they just weren't able to diagnose that back then! Christine

Beverley

Beverley Report 5 Mar 2005 07:42

Convulsions as a cause of death from years ago (ie your grandmother's era) could possibly mean that the child had an infection and thus suffered a febrile convulsion. Infections in those days were not recognised ('its a fever') and often not treated (and antibiotics may not have been around). It would have been a more common cause of death for children under 5. Its often not genetic - more like caused by a virus that causes the temperature to rise and then you get the convulsion which can (I hate to say it)... finish them off! Cheers Bev