Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blouse Boxer?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judith

Judith Report 4 Mar 2005 11:12

One of my relatives is listed with the occupation 'blouse boxer' on the census. Can anyone tell me what she would have been doing?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Mar 2005 11:14

Packing them (rather than punches?!)

Peter

Peter Report 4 Mar 2005 11:17

I agree. You Have to remember in thous days it was one man/woman one job. No need for multi skills with such a large labour fource and low wages

Judith

Judith Report 4 Mar 2005 11:26

Thanks folks. I thought she would have been described as 'packer' if that was the case so wondered whether 'boxer' was some technical term for putting in box pleats or something. Guess I'm just trying to complicate matters too much :-)

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 4 Mar 2005 11:58

Judith.... This is a site that tells you old fashioned job descriptions.. http://rmhh*co*uk/occup/index*html Dont forget to change the * for a . Gerri x