Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ancestry - worth it or not?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 3 Mar 2005 09:15

Is the ancestry site worth subscribing to? If so, which is best option - obviously money wise its a year but would I get all my info in the first month or do they keep adding more good things in? How much of the UK is found in 1851, 61 and 71 census? Is Wales always included? Or should I just rely on members who offer their services - which seems a bit cheeky to keep asking for look ups. When you look up a return do you get the copy of the page - as in 1901 - or the one like 1881? If I subscribe will I ever leave the computer and do my work? Thanks for any advice Julia

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 Mar 2005 09:19

Hi Julia You don't get the 51 or 61 census with ancestry. you can see all the original images on 71-1901. I subscribe quarterly at the moment as cant find the full annual amount but as for requesting lookups, i don't think its cheeky, I really enjoy looking up for people and its great when you actually crack a mystery!

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 Mar 2005 09:24

I may be wrong but i don't think Wales is on 1901. I saw a thread yesterday that said 1861 will be on in May.

Genes

Genes Report 3 Mar 2005 09:26

Hi, I think the best thing to do to start with is choose 'Pay per view' on ancestry. It's £6 for 20 'views' - so cheaper than the subscription and let's you have a taster.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Mar 2005 09:30

Give it a couple of days before deciding. Lets wait and see what sort of deal GR have done with ancestry. Maybe it'll work out cheaper? (Can't find out at moment as the links aren't working)

Julia

Julia Report 3 Mar 2005 09:37

thanks for the replies - I wondered about the earlier census returns but when I tried 'the man' at the side of the home page 'he' said he'd found reference in earlier ones - but wondered if it was a ploy to lure me in!!

Julia

Julia Report 3 Mar 2005 09:38

thanks for the replies - I wondered about the earlier census returns but when I tried 'the man' at the side of the home page 'he' said he'd found reference in earlier ones - but wondered if it was a ploy to lure me in!!

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 3 Mar 2005 09:46

Hi I started the free 14 day trial yesterday - so it's still there! Penny

Kate

Kate Report 3 Mar 2005 09:50

Julia - there is a little bit of the 1851 census indexed on ancestry - it is a sample (some say 2%, others 5%, others 10%. I think 2% is probably right) but you don't get to see the actual image for that one. Perhaps that's where the 'man' found matches for you? I found some of my ancestors on that sample once and it was quite helpful even though I couldn't see the image because it gave me enough info to post it up and ask for somebody to look it up for me.