Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help reading an image, please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Mar 2005 19:01

I can cope with most handwriting, but this typing has me stumped. Can anyone suggest who the next of kin is on this image: http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/098983a.gif ?

Heather

Heather Report 2 Mar 2005 19:13

Blimey Brenda thats a tough one, she/he really ought to have cleaned their keys! Going from the examples on the page it seems to possibly be Schiiehuf ? or Schuehuf ? Sounds unlikely.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Mar 2005 19:15

You'd think typing would be a doddle compared with handwriting, wouldn't you? I am fairly certain the first 3 letters are Sen. My guess is Sentlenuf or Senflenuf, neither of which sound like any nationality I can think of. nell

Anna

Anna Report 2 Mar 2005 19:21

My guesses were the same as Nells. If they are in Canada,maybe its a French surname Anna :-)

Heather

Heather Report 2 Mar 2005 19:26

But if you look at the other type, the second and third letters seem to match the c and h in the other names.

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Mar 2005 19:31

Yes, Sch __nuf looks possible to me. The 'h' in Richard is similar. I can see nothing to suggest a 't' - all of the other t's are (moderately) well formed - the only thing to suggest a crossbar are the dots which are part of the line.

Rachel

Rachel Report 2 Mar 2005 19:41

My best guesses are Schiienuf, Seniienuf and Senllenuf. If the first 3 letters are Sch it would imply the name had German origind more than French.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Mar 2005 20:04

You lot are absolutely brilliant. Thank you. I'm going for SCHLEIHAUF (with a typo) as this does occur as a surname in West Lorne. Richard died in WW1. His family had disintegrated after the death of his mother. When one of his brothers died of cancer aged 29 in 1912, he had no idea where his next of kin were. Thank you again B