Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FOLLOWING ON....WHAT IF SOMEONE WENT TO AFRICA.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 2 Mar 2005 10:17

Lindy

Lindy Report 2 Mar 2005 10:19

This following mail list is for discussion about the genealogy of those people who left England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands for South Africa before 1900. It is also for discussion of relevant history, economic and social issues, heraldry, etc. 1. How to subscribe. Send a message to SOUTH(-)AFRICA(-)IMMIGRANTS(-) BRITISH(-)L (a)(t) (roots)(web) (.)com (Sorry but this is the only way I could get the email addy on. Remove all brackets, and there are no spaces. ) that contains (in the body of the message) the command subscribe and no additional text. You will receive confirmation of subscription and instructions on how to proceed. Should anyone need help surfing the South African archives give me a shout. Lindy;-)))

Lindy

Lindy Report 18 Mar 2005 11:01

Nudge for Ann, ;-)))

Lindy

Lindy Report 28 Mar 2005 10:26

Nudge for Trish ;-))

Brian

Brian Report 28 Mar 2005 20:42

I lived in Nigeria for a while in the late 1950's and into the 60's and my father worked for the Home Office and I know had contact with the Commonwealth office at the time. Many of the Brits worked though the Commonwealth Office in countries that were part of the Commonwealth before countries got their independance. You might try there? Good luck? Brian in Lancs

Lindy

Lindy Report 6 Apr 2005 13:57

Nudge for Dawn ;-))

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 6 Apr 2005 15:51

Lindy thank you have sent it. Dawn

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 6 Apr 2005 17:28

Thank you for this, I have four members of my tree who were born Cape of Good Hope in 1860s- they returned to England with parents and then seemed to disappear again comepletely! This site could be helpful. I will give it a whirl a little later. Alice