Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please! (on writing people)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 2 Mar 2005 08:12

My grandfather and his father worked in Summerisland, nr Loughgall (N Ireland), I know the family that used to be there (at least) in the 80s/90s (they were they around thew time my grandfather was living in the gate house), but not sure if they are still there. I wish to write to them, and ask them if they have any employment records (he worked and lived on the estate). Do you think it's wise? I've found Cowdy's at 30 Summerisland Road on the electoral roll, and one in the phone book where it just says'Summer Island' - which one should I write to, if any? Chloe

cr*patthis

cr*patthis Report 2 Mar 2005 11:12

I can honestly say I have embarressed myself on several occasions by either writing or phoning people, putting small ads in local papers etc. But people are usually very helpful, and not at all offended, so I would say write to both, with the usual apologies for bothering them. good luck, christine

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 2 Mar 2005 16:43

Thanks Dee & Christine. Just needed that little push.

Peter

Peter Report 2 Mar 2005 16:52

I agree with every one. but have you checked on line to see if you can find out if the place is there, it might name the curent ocupents. you can normaly find some thing about big houses on the Web. Open days, Nat Trust things like that.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 2 Mar 2005 17:01

I've seen the entrance, it is still there. And these people do still appear to live on this house, because on the BT site, there's a Cowdy living at Summer Island, nr Loughgall, which is the name of the estate. Not much about open days etc, I think it's a family home still.

Linda

Linda Report 2 Mar 2005 17:26

Weird to see this on here tonight driving home from work I was thinking through this very issue. I am in a dilemma about writing to a potential live relative who to datw does not know I exist. I am concerned that I may unwittingly be raking up unhappy memories for that person, or they may not want to be reminded of their past. Or dont know as much as I have researched and found. So I am on the verge of talking myself out of it, although I want to make the contact. Really difficult call to judge. Linda

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 2 Mar 2005 17:37

It is. I have some negative feedback with contacting rellies that didn't know I existed. However, these people aren't my rellies, they own the estate that my grandfather and great grandfather worked on, so an easier decision to make. I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons of contacting them. Always best to write, and not phone, then the ball is in their court.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Mar 2005 19:19

hi chloe,go for it,your only asking for info about your rellies cannot do any harm,they may even invite you in the parlor.tony

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 Mar 2005 19:30

Thanks. Sent off the letter this morning. Just have to wait and see now!!! Fun!

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Mar 2005 21:17

Got my fingers crossed that this one works out for you, hon! Lou