Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spelling of a name query - Gulielmi?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 16:53

Hi thanks for looking. I have just got a name from lds family search - GULIELMI. This is a first name. Does anyone know if it exists, or is it a mistranscription of say, Guillame? Thanks Jen (hoping its Italian)

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Mar 2005 16:58

Hi I put it into google and it is coming up as a nmae in its own right in quite a few parts of England.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Mar 2005 16:59

google it as a name - a few hits, so not too rare ....

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 17:00

Ok, thanks, I will. Jen

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Mar 2005 17:01

Its Gulielmus thats latin for William Margaret

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 17:07

Thanks Margaret. Wonder if they called him Gul... or William? Maybe the latin version was used for the wedding info? Like Jno for John or Thos for Thomas? One to ponder...Jen

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Mar 2005 17:18

Jen I'm presuming they were Catholic? I've found that most Catholic records were written in Latin. Probably known as William though. Found it here: http://freereg.rootsweb(.)com/howto/latinnames.htm Margaret

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 17:23

Thanks Margaret, will check it out after I have lunch (oops been on PC far too long today!). If they were Catholic its the first I've heard but then until recently that line stopped at born 1842! So I will have to get sleuthing. Can you please leave that last reply on the thread for a few days? Jen

Rachel

Rachel Report 1 Mar 2005 17:26

It could be latin for William as others had said. It looks like it could also be a phonetical spelling of a celtic equivalent to William as it sounds similar to the welsh name Gurwyn or Gwillim.

Heather

Heather Report 1 Mar 2005 17:42

I think it depended how 'high church' the local vicar was, I have records in the early 1800/late 1700 where they have used the latin equivalent of names, e.g. Johannes for John (when I first saw that I excitedly thought they must have come over from Holland!). They def werent catholics.

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 17:46

Hi thanks all. Am off to check lds again, see if i can get more. I know they married in Dent, Yorkshire but hadn't heard of it so don't yet know which church... now found him listed as William as well as Gul.. on lds. Jen

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 1 Mar 2005 19:33

Was it the father's name? It looks like a possessive case - it might say something like 'filius/filia Gulielmi' meaning 'son/daughter of William' Christine

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 1 Mar 2005 19:40

Christine, hi and thanks. I did another look on LDS and found him also named William., same wife etc. So I guess the Latin form was down to the scribe. Cheers. Jen