Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PDA S

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2005 16:28

Does anyone out there use one of these to carry information if they are doing research when out and about .Ithought it might save carrying files etc. If anyone has any experience of using them for family history ie which model is the best etc I would be greatful for your comments. Margaret Mitchell.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Feb 2005 16:31

Margaret I have no personal knowledge, but family history magazines often do a bit on tecnological gadgets and comparisons. WH SMith has a good range of these mags. nell

Martin

Martin Report 28 Feb 2005 22:40

Yes, I had a PALM V for many years and used GEDSTAR-PLUS (I think it was previously known as GEDPALM). I have found it very handy when in a library because I can look up any name in my file and get dates etc. Save carrying a big pile of paper or the laptop - I very rarely print out from my family tree program. The Palm V died last month so I went out straight away and bought a replacement because I am so dependent on it. I got a Palm Tungsten E, this has colour screen and much more memory. I can now hold the complete family tree file as well as a second one for another family that I have been researching. GEDSTAR is read only but I can make notes in the PDA's notepad if I want to. I can also store and read WORD, EXCEL and PDF files so I might put some other files in it next time that I go off to do some research away from home. MB