Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Place name in Lincolnshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 28 Feb 2005 15:13

Is there anyone out there in Sunny Lincolnshire who could help me with a place name please? I have two rellies who claim on the censuses to be have been born in 'Little Randall' Lincolnshire, both around 1806. I haven't been able to find any trace of this place, but think it may be near Louth. Does it exist, or has perhaps the name changed? Thanks, folks.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 28 Feb 2005 16:00

Which census years did you find your rellies on? I have the indexes for 1841/51 - could try and find them there if you want? I havent come across that place in my research. Geoff is the guy who knows about Lincs - hopefully he might come along and help. Sue

Angela

Angela Report 28 Feb 2005 16:05

Thanks, girls. Both men had moved to Leicestershire by the time that they were married in the 1820's and both married local girls so I don't think that they will be on any of the Lincolnshire censuses. The reason that I think Little Randall may be near Louth is that one of them had given Louth as his place of birth on one of the later censuses, having said Little Randall on the two previous ones. Have to go home now, so will catch up again tomorrow. Thank you again.

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Feb 2005 17:05

No magic wand I'm afraid Sue. On 1871 census there is Francis Poxon (in Leics) aged 66 who is down as being born in Little Randall. IGI has a few Poxon entries for Louth (but no Francis). Also near Louth are Little Carlton and Little Welton but I can see no obvious candidates for mistranscription.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Mar 2005 08:28

Morning everyone - Thank you for all your efforts. Yes, Geoff, that is my Francis Poxon that you found on the 1871 in Leicestershire. Perhaps both brothers had misheard the place name from their parents (whoever they were!!!) and had just got the wrong end of the stick. Or perhaps they both had a hideous speach impediment!! I think that the Poxons of Lincolnshire may have to remain a mystery for a while. If they were wandering agricultural workers, I suppose it is possible that they were only there for a short while and the boys were never baptised. Thank you again for all your hard work. Regards Angela

Walter

Walter Report 1 Mar 2005 12:27

If indeed it does prove to be 'Wrangle' then the Lincolnshire Archives in St Rumbold's Street hold the Parish Registers for the following....Christenings 1652 to 1905 Marriages 1652 to 1914 Burials 1652 to 1894 Bishops Transcripts 1561 to 1866 You can get Parish Maps of Lindsey and also for Kesteven and Holland Their Tel: number for general enquireies is 01522 526204 Hope you find what you want. 'Walter' City of Lincoln

Angela

Angela Report 1 Mar 2005 16:15

Thank you for the info, Walter. I think I will have to give this a bit more brain power and sort through my records. Perhaps I am missing something and they should be making more sense!!!

Marktewk

Marktewk Report 5 Jun 2012 15:22

I think "Little Randall" is also known as "East Ravendale, Lincolnshire". East and West Ravendale are villages about 9 miles NE of Market Rasen and four miles NE of Stainton le Vale.

I think "Francis Poxon" is Francis Stephens Poxon baptised 8 Feb 1805 in East Ravendale to parents Thomas Stephens and Ann Poxon.

Francis had two brothers: Thomas Poxon b abt 1807 Stainton le Vale and John Stephens Poxon b abt 1814 East Ravendale.

Francis married Elizabeth Pickering b abt 1805 Packington, Leicestershire on 20 July 1823 in Packington, Leicestershire. They had 15 children.

Thomas married Ann Dennis b abt 1802 Packington, on 23 Dec 1827 in Packington. They had 10 children. Thomas was crushed by a railway truck - an inquest was held on 20 June 1887.

John married Dorothy Wade in 1843. I don't think they had any children. John used the name John Stephens in later census returns.

I hope these details are accurate. Please let me know of any errors.

Regards
Mark Poxon

patchem

patchem Report 5 Jun 2012 15:39

Mark,
You have added to a thread which is 7 years old.
Angela may still be a member of genes, so you could click on her name to try to contact her more directly just in case she is no longer monitoring these boards.