Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

illegimate child/mother's name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucette

Lucette Report 28 Feb 2005 12:34

Help Needed - I have birth and marriage certs for a James Edward Mills (1883), which lists his mother as Grace Ellen Mills - nee Redword and father as William Mills. This was in Walworth, Surrey. I can find no trace of their marriage or Grace's birth. However, James went to live with a family called Hole (family history think they were related). I then did a search for a Grace Ellen Hole and found one - who had been born in the same place as the other Holes (Tiverton) and who was in service in London. The other Hole family had also been in service at some point. Does anyone think it is likely that Grace Ellen Hole could be Grace Ellen Redwood - can't understand the name change - but Grace registered her son's birth. Any help would be wonderful - as this is becoming a bit of an obsession! Lucette

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Feb 2005 13:45

Where were James and Grace in 1891? Does that give any help or clues? Freebmd shows the marriage of a Grace Ellen HOLE in 1887 in Camberwell. Is this the same person?

Lucette

Lucette Report 28 Feb 2005 14:42

Grace Ellen Hole was in service in 1891 and James Mills was living with the Hole family - he was 7/8 at the time. I did notice that Grace Ellen Hole got married at a later date and had a daughter. It may all be coincidence - but the fact that both Grace Hole and the family James lived with came from the same town in Devon and both worked in service - makes me a bit suspcious - just can't see why she would have given a different name?