Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please use maiden names for female spouses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Niall

Niall Report 28 Feb 2005 10:04

I have had the pleasure of viewing a number of other people's trees, but have had the frustration of seeing a wife refered to by her husbands surename. I know I am stating the obvious but this habit will throw up false hope of ever finding that elusive aunt who married a SMITH or BROWN if she is not recorded with her maiden name. If you do not know her maiden name please use UNKNOWN but please no 'Mother'!

Slinky

Slinky Report 28 Feb 2005 10:09

I am one of the offenders you mention Niall, but may I add, not intentionally...I do however change them when I find their maiden names. Sorreeeee!!! Anne :)))

The Bag

The Bag Report 28 Feb 2005 10:28

bear in mind Niall, that they may not be known at the time of adding to a tree. it is hard to resist adding a wife until you have discovered her maiden name. bear with us, please jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Feb 2005 10:31

If I havent got a maiden name (yet) I use the husbands christian name affixed to the wife's birthyear - good as any method and makes it unique, and jumps out at you as a reminder to find her birth name. eg Homer1851

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Feb 2005 10:48

I think this is important. How else can you keep track of women who may marry 2 or 3 times.

Hannah

Hannah Report 28 Feb 2005 18:19

Although bear in mind that they may genuinely have the same surname...I've come across quite a few marrying cousins in parish records - ithey make life very hard! Hannah