Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Truth or offical records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 28 Feb 2005 06:31

Could someone please advise me with the following: My father George Ronald Babb br 1922 in York has the name of his father down as Charles Leonard Babb on both his birth and marriage certificates, but I know that his true father was a Vic Lemmon who was never married to my Grandmother. I have no details about Vic lemmon and all offical documents list Charles as his father. Who should I list as his father in my tree? He was born three years after Charles Leonard Babb and my Grandmother were married. Hope someone can help with this. Many thanks Gill

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Feb 2005 07:44

Gillian, how do you know for sure the other man was his father ?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 28 Feb 2005 08:00

Gillian - it's your tree, so it's entirely up to you who you want to put down as your dad's father. Presumably Charles Babb was the one who brought your father up, so it would be perfectly valid to follow his line if you wanted to. Likewise, if you are sure that Vic Lemmon was the biological father, then it would be fair enough to follow his line. Or of course, you could always follow both lines! As to being able to 'prove' that Charles wasn't the father, the only way for anyone to prove paternity is through DNA testing, which obviously isn't possible if the person is deceased. Just because a name is entered on a certificate doesn't prove anything - in fact, I've read that at least 2% of all births were due to 'non-paternal events' (i.e. when the true biological father wasn't the one named on the birth cert). Of course, in most cases we would be none the wiser, so if you do have evidence for such an event (even if it's been passed down orally), then you're doing better than most of us! Richard

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 28 Feb 2005 08:22

Thanks for your replies Neither man brought up my father and my grandmother always mentained that Vic Lemon was the biological father. I always called Vic 'Grandad Vic' when I saw him. I don't believe he ever lived with my Grandmother and I reme,ner when he died my father was very upset. My mother also says that Vic was my grandfather.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Feb 2005 08:34

Did your father ever speak of this? Who did he speak of as his father, Vic or Charles? If they were married when your father was born, I think it would be recorded that Charles was the father, unless someone gave different information to the registrar.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Feb 2005 09:13

Follow both lines Gillian - that way you have the 'official' one and the natural.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Feb 2005 09:16

I'd go with Vic. It is his genes that have gone towards creating you after all. I have a situation similar to yours. My Grandmother was still married to her first husband when my Mother was born. Consequently, her original certificate has the name of grans first husband on. My Grandmother eventually got a divorce and married my Grandfather. Then my Grandfather had to formally adopt his own daughter. I do have the first husband in my tree as he was a part of my Grandmothers life and the father of her first three children (and I have some papers relating to him) but I have not researched his tree, although I have recently made contact on here with a great nephew of his. Hope this helps, Janet

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 28 Feb 2005 09:20

One way to get that proof - though it's a bit complicated, and involves a few 'ifs' - - if your father is still alive, or if he had any male children (i.e. if you have any living brothers or sons of brothers); - and if you could trace any living male descendants on Vic Lemmon's side (i.e. who have either descended directly from Vic via a male-only line, or who have descended from a common ancestor of Vic's, again through a male-only line; - and if both living persons agreed to a DNA test; - and if you were willing to fork out several £100 for two tests; then, if Vic was your dad's father, there would be a match in the DNA. Otherwise, I think that you'll just have to assume that Vic was indeed your paternal grandfather, despite what it says on the certificates. I would document the information that you have gained from your parents, and add that to your file. At least then you'll have something down in writing!

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 28 Feb 2005 17:34

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunatley my father died but he did always refer to Vic as his father. He has a half brother by Charles so I think I will added both lines. Gran was still married to Charles but apart when Dad was born. Many thanks once again for your input