Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

a yorkshire question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2005 14:28

I've just found one of my relatives was born in Sledmer(on 1901 census)and lived with his family in Wetwang, am I right in thinking these places are in Yorkshire.All the rest of my family have been from london so this will make a nice change if it's true

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Feb 2005 14:39

You are right Chris. I think they fall in to the North Yorks area. Haven't been to Sledmere but have passed through Wetwang on many occassions on my way to Whitby. Interesting facts (!) about Wetwang: Richard Whiteley is the Mayor of Wetwang. Wetwang has a scarecrow week once a year. Great to see - scarecrows dressed up as policemen, burglars and Harry Potter! The fish and chip shop is one of the best around according to my other half! lol Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Feb 2005 14:41

I stand corrected - they are in East Yorks. And they seem soooooo far away from me too! lol

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 27 Feb 2005 14:45

Just to add we take the kids to see the scarecrows every year, they love it. Its great lol

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Feb 2005 14:48

Hi Wildbit We saw it last year for the first time and were really taken up with it. Is it on a set week every year do you know? And where abouts in Yorks are you? I'm just outside Hull Jeanette x

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2005 14:49

thanks for your help, these are the first relatives i've found who lived outside london.

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 27 Feb 2005 14:52

Hi Im not sure we just see it advertised in the paper and usually here peeps talking about it. Im just near scarborough.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Feb 2005 14:55

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled then although I can't say I've ever seen it in our local paper.

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 27 Feb 2005 15:00

No we dont have one in scarborough we go to the one in muston near filey my hubby has just pointed out lol., Ha ha ha the royal its aload of rubbish lol but where it is filmed on southcliff is quite nice. They also do a lot of filming not far from where i live.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Feb 2005 15:41

I didn' realise they had one in Muston too! My Greenley ancestors are from Muston and Folkton/Flixton I wonder if it is a Yorkshire thing