Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what family history software to buy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Danny

Danny Report 26 Feb 2005 23:50

I would appreicate some some advice about what is the best family history software package to buy. Thanks

Padkat

Padkat Report 27 Feb 2005 00:29

Hi Daniel I tried several before finally settling on Family Tree Maker. I have version 11 but I think there might be a newer one now. It's nice and easy but does everything I need. Cheers Kate

Martin

Martin Report 27 Feb 2005 09:10

I think everyone has their own preferences. I use LEGACY because when I originally switched it did several things not possible with Family Tree Maker. There is a very active support mailing list and the company respond well to any queries sent to them by EMail. You can download it free and run it without all the options. These will then appear if you register it. You can download PAF free from the LDS website. You can transfer data between these different programs so can switch later. The important thing is to get a family tree program and record every bit of information along with the source. Do NOT rely on GenesReunited for storing your data, it is a very crude system. You can export a GEDCOM file from your family tree program and use that file to load into GenesReunited. MB

Heather

Heather Report 27 Feb 2005 13:16

Daniel if you put a search in the top of the board you will find many threads about this subject.