Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wrong 1881 census image on ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Feb 2005 15:20

Any tips for finding the actual page my rellies are on? They are listed as Henry Pepper c1840, Emily c1841, Harriett c1864 and Violet c1877 in St Luke, London but the actual census image that comes up on ancestry(.)com does not have them on it. I have searched loads of pages either way but can't find the right one. They are actually called Peffer but I don't think that is the problem in this instance. They are a nightmare to research, can't find Henry's marriage or death either. Have notified census problem to ancestry but that was ages ago.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 15:24

Hallo Have you tried searching by folio and page: Source Information: Dwelling 4 Ironmonger Row Census Place London, Middlesex, England Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0363 / 95 Page Number 72 I must say its a small world - my husband has a relative in his tree who was living in 1851 in 5 Ironmonger Row! nell

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Feb 2005 15:32

thanks, I'll try you suggestions altho I think I already did - I forget which avenues I explored last week - really should write down everything I've checked!!

Judith

Judith Report 26 Feb 2005 15:34

I had the same problem but managed to get round it by going for the option to see the list for all names on the page and then clicking on the image for one of the other names which took me to the correct page. Could be this might work for you too. Good luck. Judith

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Feb 2005 15:49

No luck on any of those ideas folks. I'll have to trawl through the district this afternoon. It also appears that the address might be wrong as the Fowler family are also listed as living at no. 4 Ironmonger Row - my head hurts

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 15:56

The 1881 census transcription on www.familysearch.org has several families at no. 4. I think the house must have been divided into apartments - quite a few houses in the row were like this. nell

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Feb 2005 16:00

I put my Sherlock Holmes head on and found that when I look for RG11/0363/95 page 72 it actually pulls up RG11/0359/33 page 15. The whole page with the Peppers, Fowlers etc is not there - is it worth trawling or has it been missed out completely do you think??

Judith

Judith Report 26 Feb 2005 16:14

Joanna I've found it :-) I selected 1881 census but instead of putting in names in search box scrolled down to where you can select counties. Selected London as County, then St Luke from the list of place names which came up, then City Road, then district 11. The first image of district 11 started to load - typed 72 into image number box on top right and hit 'go' .... EUREKA!

Joanna

Joanna Report 26 Feb 2005 16:23

Judith you are nothing short of a total genius - thank you so much for your trouble. Jo :)