Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cousins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 26 Feb 2005 13:49

I know this may sound really stupid but could someone please tell me what the difference is between a second cousin and a cousin twice removed? Thanks, Amy

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 13:54

Amy John and Jim are cousins. They both marry and each has a daughter. John's daughter is called Jane and Jim's is called Joan. John and Joan and Jim and Jane are first cousins once removed - ie one generation removed from first cousins. Jane and Joan are second cousins because their parents were first cousins. nell

Amy

Amy Report 26 Feb 2005 13:56

Thanks Nell

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Feb 2005 13:56

Your second cousin would have the same great grandparents as you. Your cousin twice removed would be your cousin's grandchildren (two generations away from cousins) Hope this makes sense. Kath. x

Rachel

Rachel Report 26 Feb 2005 13:57

There seems to be some debate over the terms as we don't tend to use them very much. But the way I had learnt the meanings is the opposite to Nell's explanation.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 13:59

http://www.duerinck*com/consangu.html replace * with a .

Amy

Amy Report 26 Feb 2005 14:01

So if my great grandma and 'Xs' grandma were cousins, then how would me and 'X' be related?

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 14:07

look at that website - it makes it all quite clear with a simple matrix PS. You have to go back to the 'common ancestor'

Amy

Amy Report 26 Feb 2005 14:08

Thank you - i will look at the website. Amy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Feb 2005 14:12

I'd say you were third cousins once removed. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2005 14:15

You are 'X's 2nd cousin once removed if I worked it back correctly ... For your ggma and X gma to be cousins means they were the offspring of siblings, sooooooooooo theres 2 'g's on your side and only 1 on 'X's.... the '2' gives you 2nd cousins, and the difference in 'g's of 1 gives you the number of generations removed .... I think ! No wait, I forgot the 'common ancestor', so you have to add another 'g' each side so its 3-2 - Kathleen is correct.

Amy

Amy Report 26 Feb 2005 14:38

Thank you for your help, i looked on the website and have printed out a copy of the table because it was very useful and i will probable need to use it again. Amy