Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kellys Street Directory

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 25 Feb 2005 16:24

I have just been reading on another thread about Kellys Street Directories. These apparently listed all houses in the area with details of who lived there. Could anyone tell me please what years they are available for? It would be brilliant if you can look at them at the library. I would be interested in Bulwell Nottingham between 1911 and 1937. I have to go out now, so if I get any replies I shan't be here to thank you for a while. Thanks in advance :)) Chrissie

Heather

Heather Report 25 Feb 2005 16:28

i believe they stopped producing these in the '70's but am not sure, i will go have a look and see if there is any information anywhere hevi ps have googled it and there are various sites for various counties and towns this one came up for nottingham http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/books/directories/dirntt.html www(.)british-genealogy(.)com / resources / book / directories /dirntt.html there is a d o t c o m after genealogy

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Feb 2005 16:57

Chrissie, I have the Kellys Nottinghamshire 1916 Disc. Mail me if you would like me to look something up for you and I will do my best. I'm not sure how easy it will be to search as I haven't used it much. (EMail would be best as my son is coming home for the weekend and I will not get a chance to look in on the boards!) Elisabeth xx

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 25 Feb 2005 16:58

Hi Chrissie have you tried this site www.historicaldirectories.org It has quite a few Kellys directories on it. Jackie x

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Feb 2005 17:16

Lots of records offices/local history archives have Kellys and various other street directories for their area. They are v. useful as they list private residents AND have a commercial section. I was able, using addresses I had on censuses and certificates, to track my relatives in Richmond and find out when they moved from one house to another. The London Kellys is in the Family Records Office and this was the vital tool that enabled me to discover that Ingram Place, not on GENDOCS Victorian Streets List, was actually a terrace of houses on Hornsey Road. I was confused as my Matthews family had lived at no. 13 Hornsey Rd from 1865-1879, yet one cert had listed the address as Ingram Place. I think directories only list women when they are head of the household though. nell

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Feb 2005 18:16

Kellys are the best known, but not the only ones. The period you are interested in is when they were in their heyday. Local studies libraries tend to have the best runs. Croydon is well served, but it varies. Large libraries like Guildhall in London are also known for their collections. B

Geoff

Geoff Report 25 Feb 2005 18:57

You might find a 1910s directory at www.historicaldirectories.org

Christine2

Christine2 Report 25 Feb 2005 20:13

I have just arrived home and what a brilliant lot you are. Thank you so much Hevi-Elisabeth-Jackie-Nell-Chelle-Brenda and Geoff. I have printed off all your suggestions and will follow them all through. Going to check out the websites and Elizabeth, I will e-mail you. Thank you very much for the offer. I can't believe how many people try to help and how knowledgable you all are. A big thank you again - Chrissie

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 27 Feb 2005 08:09

Chrissie, I have mailed you with what I have found. Elisabeth x