Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How reliable is LDS?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 25 Feb 2005 08:20

Hi i have found a birth on Lds that im really hoping is mine. It gives the place and date of birth on the IGI. How reliable will this be. Im wanting to order the cert, And thats my next question has anybody ordered a cert from ireland before? Many thanks

Irene

Irene Report 25 Feb 2005 08:34

When they first started they didn't have computers, they wrote to the rellies and asked for information this was around and just after 1900. Some like my Nellie, we are related by my ggg grandfather and her family went out to Utah in 1850. She also was working in the Library in Salt Lake city (1910-1930) doing just this sort of thing and helping to record everything there. So to start the information is only as good as their rellies over here sent back. Then around the 1930's they started to come back and check the records for themselves. Now of course they use the fiche and the information is getting much better. You can tell the one that they are not sure about, they don't have a date only year, or there are no parent only relative ?? this is when they believed that they were related so put their own name down. But always check what you find anywhere, it is so easy to make a mistake and you could the copy that mistake. With computers now everything is so much easier, I have just found a 2nd cousin, he started his family history 25 years ago, but he went down the wrong line, had quite a few messages about this and we both were sure we were right, glad to say I was as I had checked everything even death records to prove my line. So do use it as a tool, then go and prove what you find. Irene

Sam

Sam Report 25 Feb 2005 08:57

At the bottom of each individual records will be a batch code i.e C012345. This means that they are transcribed from actul parish records or bishops transcripts. Codes starting C are usually from the baptism registers, there are also E, P, M and others which I can't remember just now. The ones that are submitted my members of the LDS church don't usually have a batch code and it normally states somewhere that they are member submissions. Both need to be checked out but obviously the ones from parish records are probably more reliable than the member submissions. Hope this helps San

Joan

Joan Report 25 Feb 2005 09:01

I have found the IGI, the extracts from parish registers, very reliable. Info submitted by LDS members...no experience but I would use it as a possibility to be investigated! Always check the actual parish registers if you can...and they sometimes have a lot of extra info. And remember that the IGI only has some registers, not all. Look at the Hugh Wallis Batch numbers site for what they have, and check this against the online catalogues of the Records Office for the area you are researching. Good luck...the IGI has given me lots of wondereful info and lots of fun and can be searched in several different ways.Joan

Glen

Glen Report 25 Feb 2005 09:43

What timescale are we talking about and is it NI or the Republic? Civil Reg. in Ireland didn't start until c. 1865.

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 25 Feb 2005 09:58

Many thanks for all your help everyone. This is what i found listed Elizabeth Corcoran Birth 15 may 1876 kildare ireland Batch no c020983

BrianW

BrianW Report 25 Feb 2005 10:03

The 'C' in the batch reference indicates that it had been transcribed from the christening records of the parish (marriages start 'M'). It will be as reliable as the transcription.

Joy

Joy Report 25 Feb 2005 10:03

My great-grandmother was born about 1856 so I am having great difficulties finding her birth / baptism! I have a certificate for her marriage in 1876 in Turlough, County Mayo - I asked a professional researcher in Ireland to search for it, as I knew when their first child was born in England, and I think I was charged about £20. It was, to me, worth every penny!! I think I found lists of professional researchers either through GENUKI or cyndislist site/s. Joy

Glen

Glen Report 25 Feb 2005 10:09

The LDS in London has the Civil Registers for Ireland & Scotland. You can find the ref. & send for the Cert. It's only £3-4. I don't know if the other LDS Centres have the registers.

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 25 Feb 2005 10:25

Please could you tell me how i do that. Sorry for sounding thick but ive never done that before. Thanks

Gordon

Gordon Report 26 Feb 2005 00:28

Please be advised the Irish Registration Indexes at the LDS are from Dublin House, if your ancestors are from Northern Ireland, the information will not help you. Northern Ireland uses a totally different index system and if you try to input the reference info from the Dublin books, they will spit it back at you and demand the full 10lbs instead of the usual 5lb. The index is helpful in determining a year and district for Northern Ireland but that is it. The GRO in Northern Ireland informed me of this, the other day in an email.