Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry birth ref no.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 25 Feb 2005 07:09

I ordered a birth cert for Mary Renwick born 1846 mar qt Haltwhistle.ref 25 299.Got a reply from GRO today that this entry does not relate to the name.Now what am I supposed to do.Margaret

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 25 Feb 2005 07:23

Hi Margaret I checked the image for you, and it definitely looks like volume XXV, page 299 on the image. Suggest that you try to obtain the cert direct from the local reg office: Northumberland West Abbey Gate House, Market Street, Hexham, NE46 3LX. Tel: 01434 602355 or 602605. Fax: 01434 604957. Richard.

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 25 Feb 2005 07:26

Margaret Name: Renwick, Mary Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1846 District: Haltwhistle County: Northumberland Volume: 25 Page: 299 Don't know what other numbers they want! Maybe one of the more experienced on here, can help you with this. ...Babz

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 25 Feb 2005 07:26

Did you order it as volume 25, rather than volume XXV. Perhaps that is why?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 25 Feb 2005 07:32

It doesn't make any difference whether you use Roman numerals or not when you order. The volume for Haltwhistle is always 25 (or XXV), for the period from 1837-1851. It's more likely that the page number is incorrect in the index. The local office will have it's own reference system, which is independant of the GRO volume & page number. If you just give them the name and year, they should be able to find it. If they can't, they'll send your cheque back (unlike the GRO who will keep £3 of it as an admin fee).

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 25 Feb 2005 07:42

Thanks everyone.Looks like the ref no is wrong.I checked for her marriage to John Spark it comes up 10a 312.His name is missing.Checked his name for marriage it comes up 10A 342.Her name missing from page.Obviously going to have the same problem again.Lost 3 pounds now.Have to order online as overseas

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 25 Feb 2005 07:58

Margaret In the case of the marriage, I would say that his page number is wrong, and should be 312. There are 3 names on page 312 (1 male, 2 female), whereas he is the only name on page 342. On the FreeBMD page mappings, March quarter 1869 for Weardale marriages are in the range 293-315. This also suggests that it is the page number of 342 that is the error.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 25 Feb 2005 08:42

Thanks Richard I was thinking that was the case.Im trying to find out Marys fathers name so will order that.She is working as a servant so havnt got her with her family.