Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage age for Scottish girl?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Feb 2005 23:04

What age in Scotland did a girl have to be to get married in 1874 please? Sue

Anne

Anne Report 24 Feb 2005 23:10

Don't know the answer to that, Sue but did you see the site I found for you last night about St Philips, Hull????? Anne

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Feb 2005 23:18

Hello Anne, Yes I did and thankyou very much, I did reply to say thankyou but these boards move so quickly you dont know where you are. Thankyou for your time. Regards Sue....................................

Anne

Anne Report 24 Feb 2005 23:25

Thats OK Sue. I kept looking at the original message to see if you'd got it. Perhaps you replied on another thread? I don't tend to go through all the threads just look back to the ones I've taken part in. Glad you saw it anyway! :-) Anne

Melissa

Melissa Report 24 Feb 2005 23:31

Not sure what age they had to be, however mine are all between 20-26yrs. :-) Mel in Oz.

Ellen

Ellen Report 24 Feb 2005 23:42

I think they were actually allowed to marry from the age of 12 with parental consent (I know, doesn't bear thinking about). From 21 didn't need parental consent. there was a thread earlier on tonight about the same subject. Regards Ellen.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 25 Feb 2005 00:28

Hi Sue, yes 12 for a girl and 14 for a boy until 1929 with parental consent. Although without parental consent the law in Scotland has always been different to England...it was and is 16...without consent. That's why so many crossed the border to Gretna to marry! Christine