Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Graveyards???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Baby

Baby Report 24 Feb 2005 16:32

I am planning to go to where most of my grandfathers family originated from(graveley,Cambridgeshire) to visit the garave of those i know are buried there,how many do i have a realistic hope of finding as isnt it after a while they take away the garvestones.the last known burial of an arbon was around 1900

Jane

Jane Report 24 Feb 2005 16:35

Donna, If it's a 'council' cemetery, you might find that the local office has records/map of the plots. I got lucky with one that way. Otherwise, you could try making contact with the Church concerned to see if they have a register of burials. In hindsight, I would never have found my ancestors had I just gone yomping around ... the stones were not obvious, although the inscriptions from the late 1800s were still legible. Good luck. Jane

Lucky

Lucky Report 24 Feb 2005 16:37

I have found a lot of stones very hard to read from that age back. If you have plot numbers etc., that will be a help but also some people didn't actually have a gravestone. Can you contact anyone to do with the graveyard first to see if they can advise you

Baby

Baby Report 24 Feb 2005 16:38

thanks Jane, I have lots of details about them just wanted to see where they lived etc,i thought that after 100 years after the last person buried they could build over it?

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 24 Feb 2005 16:43

Hi, I cant remember what it is called, but in my local library they have a book which gives you names of the graveyards in the area. It has names dates and a map of where exactly they are., it even described the head stone. Ask at the libary where you are going, they might have one too. I found 3 of one family who all died in 1866, so finding out what happened to them is now on my 'must do' list. good luck Marion