Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could Harriet Lavinia be Maggey?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Feb 2005 23:32

See below

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Feb 2005 23:43

My maternal grandmother, Florence Lilian Emery was born in 1887 at 4 Suffolk Street, Poplar, father James Emery and mother Harriet Lavinia Emery nee Hamilton. In 1881 the occupants of 4 Suffolk Street were Francis Hamilton, Boilermaker, his wife and children including Harriet aged 21. On 29 August 1886 James Emery married a Maggey Hamilton aged 26 in Bromley by Bow. (Certificate received today) Maggey's father was Francis William Hamilton, Boilermaker. It therefore seems pretty conclusive that Harriet and Maggey were one and the same, but why should she be Maggey at marriage and Harriet on the census and when she registered my grandmother's birth?

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 23:45

Sounds that this is the same person, but as to why she changed her name - who knows? Are you sure the original certificate says Maggey, only I'm thinking that capital M and H could be mistaken, the second letter in Harriet & Maggey is a and is followed by two double letters... nell

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Feb 2005 23:55

It certainly reads as Maggey on the certificate and is on freebmd transcribed as that. Unless there's a transcription error between the original record and the GRO? And two daughters of the same age both marrying a James Emery?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 23 Feb 2005 23:58

Can Harriet/Maggey write? Have you seen her signature or mark on the original marriage register? It is unusual for people to be married with what reads like a pet name. Do you have her on any later censuses, or her death? B

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2005 00:05

She's on 1901 as Harriet, in Bromley with James and kids. And on the marriage certificate it's a signature, not 'Her mark', although that's the GRO copy, not the church original.

Peter

Peter Report 24 Feb 2005 08:59

Tell me if I'm wrong but could it be both names are hers at birth A first and second, Then when marrid found that a close relle had same first name so to save confution started to use the second name and it got to be a habbit off uses at the time of the census.

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2005 11:45

Susan Could you post what you've found on 1871, please. And if anyone could do an 1861, I'd be grateful.

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2005 13:14

Thanks Susan. I'll cross-check it at home. Francis William in 1881 is William F in 1871 and has only aged 8 years (38 to 46). Emma has only aged 8 years (32 to 40) and her birth-place has gone from Limehouse to Poplar. Francis has only aged 9 years (9 to 18) William (4 to 14) looks OK! Louisa seems the right age for Harriet/Maggey ! But I think they are the same family. Why, oh why can't they be consistent?