Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

bulcamp, suffolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Feb 2005 14:27

on the 1871 census james lydamore is living at bulcamp with his daughters family. they all were born from frostendenn and blythburgh area. the nearest name to it is somewhere near sudbury. any ideas or something that i am missing that a local would know. thankyou shirley

The Bag

The Bag Report 23 Feb 2005 14:34

Google 'Bulcamp', might help you to understand what it was jess

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Feb 2005 14:44

no it just has a number in the left hand column with all the headings crossed out at the top and bulcamp written in the top right. do you think it could be a workhouse? thanks shirley

Peter

Peter Report 23 Feb 2005 14:47

If you go to this site you will find all the towns in Suffolk begining with B you can try matching to one of them, there are a few possabels www.bedsearcher.*co.*uk/suffolk_towns_B.htm Remove*

The Bag

The Bag Report 23 Feb 2005 14:50

http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/bulcamp.htm workhouses expert Peter Higginbotham observes that at Bulcamp the sexes were not segregated in the workhouse — men and their wives and families were admitted, and their children grew up there until being apprenticed by the Incorporation at the age of 13. After serving their apprenticeship, the sons married and came back with their wives to the workhouse, had children and so repeated the cycle. That looks a good one. jess

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Feb 2005 14:53

thanks for that went to that site, then remembered to put it in google. came up with a workhouse. thanks for your help. shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Feb 2005 14:54

i have not found any relis in a workhouse til now so this should be interesting.

Janet

Janet Report 23 Feb 2005 17:18

Bulcamp (pronounced boocum) is an area between the villages of Blythburgh and Wenhaston in East Suffolk. An alternative spelling is given as Bulchamp - perhaps meaning field of bulls? The entry in Kelly's Directory of Suffolk 1900 says 'hamlet 1 mile north west [of Blythburgh]; the Workhouse for the union of Blything, situated here, will hold 640 inmates.' Local historian Keith Johnceline has written a chapter about it in his 'Millennium History of Wenhaston'. The 18th century workhouse building evolved into a hospital for the mentally ill, then it became a cottage hospital. Now it has been converted into luxury flats!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 23 Feb 2005 19:44

My relatives came mainly from the Wenhaston area of Suffolk, but I do have a relative shown on the 1841 census as being born in Bulcamp, Suffolk. I have been told that it is an area or more likely the workhouse. I also have two relatives, young girls, shown on the 1881 census as being in Bulcamp, Suffolk, and this was definetely the local workhouse. There is an article in the Suffolk family history magazine for last quarter by a lady who is trying to get the graveyard of the Bulcamp workhouse preserved. I can let you have more info if you like. Stephanie

Shirley

Shirley Report 2 Mar 2005 16:21

THANKYOU JANET AND STEPHANIE, AND SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO REPLY. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE WONDERFUL. AS HARD AS IT MUST HAVE BEEN FOR THEM IT IS INTERESTING FOR US. THANKS AGAIN SHIRLEY