Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHY WOULD A FAMILYS SURNAME CHANGE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 22 Feb 2005 17:16

could anyone shed some light on why a whole familys surname would change. After coming to a complete stop on my ancestry i've discovered that the entire family were born and registered on at least o couple of different census's by a completely different surname, not just a spelling error

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Feb 2005 17:45

There must be lots of reasons why someone would change their surname - heres one of mine, I call him 'make your mind up Jim' . He was baptised Nailard, married as Napp, baptised his son Napp, appeared with his family in 1851 as Nailard but continued in later census as Napp.. Why? goodness only knows, he was the illegit son of a Nailard who never married Mr Napp who was the father of her 11 (yes eleven) known children, Jim was obviously confused as to who he ought to be!

Sam

Sam Report 22 Feb 2005 18:33

My surname changes are Lower to Barham...

Sam

Sam Report 22 Feb 2005 18:52

thats a good reason to change names!!!

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 18:58

It could also be for Political resons money to hide from debt collectors/courts Snobery the new name had better status and dozens of other resons Take your pick

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 22 Feb 2005 19:18

Were you looking at images or transcriptions? I spent some time trying to work out how a whole family of CHRISTMASes, who sprang up in the 1891 census, should be fitted into my tree when there seemed to be no trace before or after. I did a bit more rooting, and suddenly realised that they weren't CHRISTMASes but DEEs. I contacted the Hampshire transcription folks to query it - along with my persuasive evidence (An identical - barring the surname - family in 1881 plus a relevant combination of birth dates and names in the GRO lists). They looked back at the image and came back promptly with an apologetic and grateful e-mail. In spite of three lots of checking, they'd all missed it. [My guess is that Dee could have looked like Ditto, and so they just continued the surname from the lines above - which were, indeed, some of mine.] Christine