Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

got my certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 22 Feb 2005 10:17

Recieved the marriage certificate of William Cozens and Susannah Claxton this morning and thankfully was the right people what I cant understand is why they went from Abbotsbury to Poole to marry then returned would the fact that she had 1 maybe 2 children before they married this was 1841

Trudy

Trudy Report 22 Feb 2005 10:43

Hi Katie - don't know whether this will send you on a wild goose chase or help! I have just had a similar question with a ggaunt's marriage - she was born in Bedford and lived in Bedford, but got married in London - when I asked the source the information came from I was told that although her husband was born in the same place as her, he was a groom for a family in London, hence the location of the marriage. Trudy

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 22 Feb 2005 10:56

on the cert it says William living in Dorchester at time of mariage and susannah Poole,well actually says Susan but know its definatly mine as father William a flint cutter,so am stuck on this one if both had been living Poole could have put it down to him being a tailor there but obviously not

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 22 Feb 2005 12:46

kazzie i also got my birth cert today but the dad isnt the same as the one on the marriage cert!!! grrrrr. a fed up susie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Feb 2005 13:20

Kazzie, although it never shows women with occupations, the chances are that she was working as a servant in Poole. Before couples got married, each of them would have moved around a fair bit, working for different employers, getting enough savings and life skills to set up home together. They might then be lucky enough to return to the village of their birth, but often they moved on. Anyone would think my granny stayed at home in her little Norfolk village until she married my grandfather, but they met in Surrey where she was working, then married in her home parish. B