Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pics of Southampton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 09:26

This Sunday(If the weather hold off or Next Sunday if not) I will be going to Southampton on a photo shot (doing a favor) But will have lot of spear time. if any one whants a Pic of a house or Street, The area I can cover will be roughly 2 miles radeus of the town center. That includs the Docks and the west side of the river Itchin.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Feb 2005 09:37

Thanks, that's a very kind offer Peter. Do you know if the St Marys area has been totally redeveloped? Mine were quite a lowly bunch, who lived in Bevois Street(1841+) but I expect it has changed alot now.

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 09:47

Yes I know the street thers a hospitel near it, St Marys, is to say the least the Lower end of the market when it comes to byeing a house. The area is well known for drugs and prostution. But its a case of the few giving the rest a bad name. Any perticuler No house you whant.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Feb 2005 10:10

Peter I have heard it's not such a good area. I have no house numbers, I've realised but will mail you with another possible. Are we talking digital photos to be sent on by e mail?

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 10:32

Yes I have a DIGGY and i'm charging the Batterys as we speak.. Hold back in seding me your E-mail I am listing names and if I get the Pic requierd I will contact you vie the site and then we can uses E-Mail. I do'nt whant any one antisapating a Pic and me not being able to get it. 2 weeks ago I was all set to go to Winchester to do some look ups and we Had a Barevment in the family (wifes Granfather past away Still Hits her). Should be OK thou

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 11:53

Sheleen (nice name) I live just up the road from Soton in Eastleigh. So I know what your on about. Its just the Street I will Photograph but I bet I can find Some thing of intrest in St Merys that will make A good pic Some of the older houses are a graet source of insperation. Thonhill on the other hand is to the camara, just boxes. so I dont go there. Iam an Artiest..... Well I Take fair pics....all right I can point the Camrara and get some thing.

Sprack

Sprack Report 22 Feb 2005 12:43

hey peter my grandad and his siblings were brought up in st marys, graham road,clovelly road and oxford avenue, I was brought up in millbrook and my sister now lives in eastleigh, millbrook was ok when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, my dad still lives on the estate and has had alot of trouble from kids. I keep meaning to go and take some photos of the houses my grandad lived in but they are now ocupied by asians now who probably would wonder why I am taking a photo of their house lol. jenny

Sprack

Sprack Report 22 Feb 2005 13:12

sheleen luckily the road that my dad lives in isn't too bad and he has good neighbours, the familys that caused the trouble were evicted but one of the boys comes back to see his mates. jenny

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 18:38

Been out most of the afternoon so only just got back to this. Sheleen we will have to compair pics. thou I only do it as a hobby. Your shots of Southwestern house should be Archived that place has quit a history I remember as a lad it was a Station, then a TV studio now Flats. I hope it warms up a bit for the week end or theres going to be iceicels on the lense.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 22 Feb 2005 19:11

Have you folks found this site: http://www.plimsoll.org/ It's part of a set of Port websites - all including old pictures, I believe. My mother's father's family in succession (E C R CHRISTMAS, after his parents, Edwin & Margaret Christmas - after Edwin's elder brother, William & his wife, Fanny) used to run the Edinburgh Hotel at 1 St Mary’s Rd and another brother of ECR Christmas (William F Christmas) ran the Shirley Hotel. They all (and other brothers) seem to have attended Banister Court School (of which there are images on that site I mentioned above but which has disappeared underneath the football ground, I believe!). I think their hatch/match/despatch events were recorded at St Mary's Church, although at least some are buried in St Mary's Portchester, in the castle. I'd be interested to know what pictures get taken, in case some are relevant to me. I couldn't find any trace of the Edinburgh Hotel on the web, but can't tell whether it's because it has disappeared (bombing/redevelopment) or been re-named. Hope you enjoy your excursion. Christine

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2005 19:19

I will see if I can find any trace of the places in St Marys, do not know about Shirley hotel but will see.

Peter

Peter Report 24 Feb 2005 10:11

Nudge for more requests