Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing from 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jazmine99

jazmine99 Report 21 Feb 2005 19:16

I am trying to find my g-grandad Walter Mellors on the 1881 census. I have tried every spelling I can think of and searched for him by first name only but he still isn't there! Can anyone please help and put me out of my misery

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Feb 2005 19:17

How old should he be? Where should he be? Is he any of these? Walter Mellors abt 1845 Bullwell, Nottinghamshire, England Head Chesterfield Walter Mellors abt 1874 Bullwell, Nottinghamshire, England Son Chesterfield Walter Mellors abt 1869 Ecclesfield, Yorkshire, England Son Oldham Walter Mellors abt 1863 Hull, Yorkshire, England Son Lincoln Walter Mellors abt 1877 Owston Ferry, Lincoln, England Visitor Owston Walter Mellors abt 1819 Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, England Head Bulwell Walter Mellors abt 1872 Bulwell Son Bulwell Walter Mellors abt 1856 Nottingham Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire, England Lodger Nottingham St Mary Walter Mellors abt 1875 Sneinton, Nottinghamshire, England Son Nottingham St Mary Walter Mellors abt 1876 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Son Nottingham St Mary Walter Mellors abt 1880 Burton, Staffordshire, England Son Burton Extra Walter Mellors abt 1873 Ansley, Warwickshire, England Son Ansley Walter Mellors abt 1861 Woodsetts, Nottinghamshire, England Servant Kimberworth

jazmine99

jazmine99 Report 21 Feb 2005 20:01

He should be 20 (born 1851) and he was born in Southwell. Where he should be I don't know, I know he is in Winchester Hamps in 1891

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 21 Feb 2005 20:27

The Walter Mellors in Winchester, born in Southwell on the 1891 is 37. That would make him b in 1854 ish. There is a Walter Mellors on the 1881 b 1856 in Farnsfield (district of Southwell), lodger in Nottingham, St Mary On the 1871 Walter Mellors b 1855 in Farnsfield, servant, living in Farnsfield.

jazmine99

jazmine99 Report 21 Feb 2005 20:44

Rosemary I thought for a long time the Walter in Farnsfields was my Walter. Then I applied for the birth certificate of Walter from Farnsfield and discovered the father on the birth certificate was different to the father on the marraige certificate. My Walter from Southwell, I think, told a little white lie about his age when he got married.

jazmine99

jazmine99 Report 21 Feb 2005 21:04

Jim Thats him and he started life as Mellers. Oh isn't this fun!