Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Who was George's mother?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 20 Feb 2005 17:09

I have information from the 1901 census and the 1881 census which i was very kindly given. I am trying to make sense of it because in the IGI Index it says that George Fitch's (1866) mother was called Eliza. But in the 1881 census it says that George was the son in law of the Ruse family and the mother in law was a Mary Fitch. Who was his mother - Eliza or Mary? Georges age matches in both the census' but it says that when George was 15 Mary was 76. Could Mary have been Georges grandmother and if so why was she the mother in law? I am VERY confused so i will understand if no one understands what i have written. I have put the census info below for you to look at. Thanks. P.S. sorry about the length of the message. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1901 census George Fitch. 35 Head. Born 1866. / Alice. 32 Wife. 1869 1881 census George Fitch. Son in Law. 15. Mary Fitch. Mother in Law. 76 I.G.I.index shows George Fitch. Baptised 6.4.1866. Mother Eliza.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 17:12

Amy Wow, too many names all squashed together. It might be an idea to cut and paste that into a reply so it can be spaced out a bit and would make more sense to anyone reading it Lou

Ciara

Ciara Report 20 Feb 2005 17:14

It probably was his grandmother. Have you found a record of his birth on BMD? Ciara

Amy

Amy Report 20 Feb 2005 17:17

Thanks for the replies - when i typed the message i had spaced them out but i think the message was too long because they got squashed together automatically. I havent tried BMD yet - thanks for the suggestion.

Smiley

Smiley Report 20 Feb 2005 17:24

Amy, the first post does what's called 'text wrapping' no matter how long, or what spaces, paragraphs you do, it just bundles all the info together. To get around this your first post could give just one opening line i.e. Please see below.... or Please read on... Then click 'add a reply' to your own thread, and post the rest of the info, all nicely spaced, and much easier to read & digest. Hope this helps Sam

Amy

Amy Report 20 Feb 2005 17:28

1901 census George Fitch. 35. Born 1866. Linton. and living there. Shepherd Alice. 32. 1869. Born Linton. George. 12. 1889 Born Linton Fred.10. Born Linton Flory. 8. 1893. Born Linton. pres Florence. Alfred. 6. 1895. Born Linton Walter. 2. 1899. Born Linton. 1881 census Frederick Ruse. 6. Linton Mary Ruse 4. Born Linton Ambrose Ruse. 1 Born Linton Samuel Fitch. Son in L. 19. Born Linton George Fitch. Son in Law. 15. Born Linton Mary Fitch. Mother in Law. 76 Born Linton. Living Union House. Linton. I.G.I.index shows George Fitch. Baptised 6.4.1866. in Linton Mother Eliza. Thanks for your help Sammy

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 17:55

Amy Can't make head or tail of the 1881 census - the relationships given should be to the head of the household, but who is the head of the household? nell

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 18:23

The 1891 on ancestry is a real mess, they have mixed up next doors lot 'the Cottages' with your lot of Fitchs ANYONE LOST THE COTTAGE FAMILY? Cottage, George 8 Linton, Cambridgeshire Grandson Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, Alice 23 Linton, Cambridgeshire Wife Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, Charles 6 Linton, Cambridgeshire Son Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, Emma 37 Linton, Cambridgeshire Wife Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, Frank 1 Linton, Cambridgeshire Son Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, Frederick 4/12 Linton, Cambridgeshire Son Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, George 25 Linton, Cambridgeshire Head Linton Cambridgeshire Fitch, George 3 Linton, Cambridgeshire Son Linton Cambridgeshire On the image there is only Alice, George, George junior and Fred.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 20 Feb 2005 18:24

Amy, just checked the image on ancestry. Head of household is Walter Ruse 38 Ag Lab. therefore Samuel is his son in law and Mary is Walter's mother in law. I think son in law means stepson in this case as Walter is married to an Eliza. Therefore Mary has either been given the wrong surname or Eliza had Samuel and George out of wedlock. Hope you understand this. If you want the image contact me. Janet

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 18:28

On the 1881 the rest of the family is on the previous page Ann Ruse abt 1871 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Linton Eliza Ruse abt 1839 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Linton Elizabeth Ruse abt 1874 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Linton Richard Ruse abt 1870 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Linton Walter Ruse abt 1843 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Head Linton Therefore Walter Ruse is head married to Eliza and your chap is his step son. You should have a look for the death of his birth father.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 18:42

Mary seems to be Eliza's first mother in law (from first marriage)..... but probably got all confused in the enumerating. Here is the family on 1871 Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image George Fitch 5 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Linton Cambridgeshire Samuel Fitch 9 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Linton Cambridgeshire Ann Ruse 2 months Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Linton Cambridgeshire Eliza Ruse 29 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Linton Cambridgeshire Richard Ruse 1 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Linton Cambridgeshire Walter Ruse 28 Linton, Cambridgeshire, England Head Linton Cambridgeshire

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 18:44

Eliza's second marriage Surname First name(s) District Vol Page --------------------------------------------------- Marriages Dec 1868 ----------------------------------------------- Cable Sarah Linton 3b 1176 Fitch Eliza Linton 3b 1176 Hoasden George Linton 3b 1176 HOUSDEN George Linton 3b 1176 Ruse Walter Ambrose Linton 3b 1176

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 18:46

This is from the IGI (if you don't have it) ELIZA FITCH Female Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: WILLIAM FITCH Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: WALTER AMBROSE RUSE Family Marriage: 25 DEC 1868 Linton, Cambridge, England Husband Age at Marriage: 26 Wife Age at Marriage: 27 Walter's father was Frederic Ruse

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 18:48

Looks like George was illegitimate.... I'm a bit blond today, anyway which means that Mary is Eliza's mother, not mother in law from first marriage because the marriage to Walter is her first!