Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SOUND A BIT STUPID BUT ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haley

Haley Report 20 Feb 2005 13:57

WHAT INFORMATION IS INCLUDED ON A DEATH CERT THAT COULD BE OF SOME USE CAN ANYONE HELP

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 14:16

Haley Info on a death cert: Register Number Date and Place of Death Sex Age Occupation Cause Of Death Name and Surname of the Deceased Informant's Details Date of Registration Registrar's Signature Some points to bear in mind: 1) the death cert is not filled in by the person concerned becuase they are dead. So details of age, place of birth etc may not be correct. My own grandfather's death cert which was registered by my uncle, has several errors on it. 2) Occupation - what is on the death cert may be only one job - my grandfather had at least 7 different kinds of employment in his life time. 3) the place of death may look like an address - ie 24 High Street, but it may in reality have been a hospital/workhouse. 4) Death cert will not necessarily give dead person's home address, only if they died there or the person informing the death lived there too. 5) on the other hand a death cert can be of use in providing further clues. My great-grandfather Thomas Matthews was living in London but I did not know where or when he was born and there were too many Thos. Matthews on the census to know which was him. But I knew from his marriage cert that his father was called Emmets Matthews, an unusual name. I found a death cert for Emmets which showed he died in Warwickshire and sure enough when I checked there in the village was the family with my great-grandfather as a boy, which gave me his year of birth and then I found his birth cert. nell

connieonnie

connieonnie Report 20 Feb 2005 14:17

Not that much really. I have a death certificate from 1910 and the following is recorded on it : 1. When and where died. 2. Name and surname (if female - married surname). 3. Sex. 4. Age. 5. Occupation ( mine reads - wife of Joseph and Joseph's occupation ). 6. Cause of death. 7. Signature, description and residence of informant. 8. When registered (death). 9. Signature of registrar. Other details to be found are : Registration district, sub district and County . Hope this helps. Connie.

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Feb 2005 14:23

I sent for the death cert of my 2 x great grandmother for no other reason than to make up the set. I already knew when she died as I had found her grave. When it arrived the informant was a brother in law I had never heard of, a product of a third marriage of my 3xgreat grandfather that I didnt know about. I had 'lost' him years before. Checking out this new brother in law, I found his father that I lost and his burial place and him on 2 census that enabled me to find out where he was born. That info I hadnt managed to get. Margaret