Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information pre 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2005 12:33

Dear all, I'm pretty new at genealogy, so please bear with me. I've managed to trace my great great grandfather back to an 1805 birthdate (via ancestry.co.uk), however, where do I go from here? I've heard of people tracing their ancestors back to the 14 15 century at least. How did they do it? Any insights would be most appreciated!

Paula

Paula Report 20 Feb 2005 12:35

I haven't done much myself but i think most of the pre 1837 stuff is found via parish records. Theres not much of this on the net, there is some on the IGI (LDS site) but thats not always reliable. The parish records for most areas are stored at microfische at the county records office Paula

kim

kim Report 20 Feb 2005 12:40

have you got a name for him or place maybe some one can send you in right area, as some parish records are on line

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 12:58

I think its very unlikely you will trace him back to the 14th century. What was the birth record found in? If a census, did it have a wife shown or children. If so, you could try to find the marriage and/or the baptisms of the children which would give you more info. Have you started from what you know, marriage certificates, birth certificates and death certificates and worked backwards? The IGI is not reliable as it can be submitted by researchers like us and we all make mistakes. Everything needs to be rechecked. You can visit the records office to search parish records or you can order them from familysearch site to view in their nearest office for a small fee.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 14:26

County records offices/archives/local history libraries can help with records such as parish registers settlement papers [to do with who was entitled to poor law relief] criminal records street directories old maps If your relative has an unusual name you might get back quite a way, but I've found that once you get to about 1800 or so, usually you are looking at records like John Matthews son of John Matthews who marries Susan Jones whose parents were John Jones and Susan Jones (previously Matthews) etc and it is very difficult to work out who was who. You could try putting your relatives name or place of birth into the search box on www.a2a.org.uk/ which will bring up any documents mentioning it and tell you where they are kept and a brief summary of what they include. nell