Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck (again)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 11:05

See Below

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 11:06

I finally located my family in 1841 - but one was born outside of the census county - any ideas how to trace them? also i have no idea what church his sons would have been baptised in (1815 & 1820 Toxteth) please help

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 20 Feb 2005 11:07

We are all stuck as there is no message on this, lol,

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 20 Feb 2005 11:07

Very strange ,your message has suddenly appeared - spooky or what!

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 11:08

Lol :D

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 11:21

Louise It's a pain that the 1841 doesn't give exact places of birth. However before the railways and industrial revolution changed people's ability to travel and widened their job opportunities, they tended to stay near their place of birth. You have to start with where you found them and then move in a circle outwards, checking the parishes along the way. Does his job give any clues as to where he might have come from? As to Toxteth: Genuki gives these churches as near Toxteth Park (no Toxteth on its own): Parishes/churches within 3 miles of Toxteth Park - SJ367879 ~ 0 W Prince's Rd Welsh Calvinist Methodist, Princes Park ~ 0 W St John (Wesleyan Methodist), Belvedere Road, Princes Park ~ 0 W St Paul (Church of England), Princes Park ~ 0 W Trinity (Presbyterian), Belvedere Road, Princes Park 0.5 N All Saints (Church of England), Toxteth Park ~ 1 NNW Holt Rd United Methodist Free Church, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW Marmaduke St Congregational, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW Palmerston St Primitive Methodist, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW Plimsoll St Welsh Wesleyan Methodist, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Anne (Roman Catholic), Overbury St, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Catherine (Church of England), Tunnel Rd, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Cyprian (Church of England), Durning Rd, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Dunstan (Church of England), Earle Rd, Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Mary (Church of England), Edge Hill ~ 1 NNW St Stephen the Martyr (Church of England), Grove Street, Edge Hill ~ 1 SE St Anthony of Padua (Roman Catholic), Queen's Drive, Mossley Hill ~ 1 SE St Matthew and St James (Church of England), Mossley Hill ~ 1 W Christ Church (Church of England), Linnet Lane, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Dingle Unitarian, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Gore St, Windsor St Welsh Baptist, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Holy Trinity (Church of England), Parliament St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Mill St Unitarian, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Park Rd Baptist, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Presbyterian, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Smithdown Society of Friends, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W South Hill Rd Wesleyan Methodist, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Agnes (Church of England), Ullet Road, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Andrew (Church of England), Aigburth Rd, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Andrew (Church of England), Renshaw St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Barnabas (Church of England), Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Bede (Church of England), Hartington Rd, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Clare (Roman Catholic), Arundel Ave, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Clement (Church of England), Beaumont St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Cleopas (Church of England), Beresford Rd, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Gabriel (Church of England), Beaufort St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St James (Church of England), Chesterfield St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St John the Baptist (Church of England), Park Rd, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Margaret (Church of England), Prince's Road, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Matthew (Church of England), Hill Street, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Michael in the Hamlet (Church of England), St Michaels Road, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Philemon (Church of England), Windsor St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Silas (Church of England), High Park St, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W St Thomas (Church of England), Warwick Street, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Ullet Road Independent, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Wellington Road United Methodist Free Church, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Windsor St Church of Christ, Toxteth Park ~ 1 W Yates St Primitive Methodist, Toxteth Park Happy hunting! nell

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 11:25

thanks Nell :D there's the family legend that he was a Jewller from the Isle of Man (census & son's marriage cert say pawnbroker)

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Feb 2005 11:41

Hi Louise Are you looking for Smiths or a more unusual name? Some names start in a particular part of the country and migrate over time. Distribution maps - I have a cd for 1881 - show concentrations which are surprisingly accurate. Many of my Skillings are in Durham or London by then, but the concentration is still highest in Norfolk, where they came from. If there are any indexes for the area in 1851, have a look for the oldest males or the surname, to see where they are born. You sometimes find that a whole group of young men make a move together. Where do the neighbours of the family in 1851 come from? Another possibility, if they were poor, is that there are settlement examinations for them, which will give the parish where they were legally settled. This is not necessarily a place where they were born, but may provide extra clues. I have several ancestors inconsiderate enough to die before 31 March 1851 and am unlikely ever to know where some of them come from. B

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 11:43

william corlett - i believe he died just before 1851 in 1841 he was living in stanhope street toxteth with his wife Agnes & two sons James & George The last three are from lancashire

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Feb 2005 12:00

I went to Familysearch and did a quick search on Corletts in 1881 born between 1780 and 1820. Almost without exception they all came from the Isle of Man. If the family were pawnbrokers, they ought to appear in directories. Have you looked at the historical directories site? B

Peter

Peter Report 20 Feb 2005 12:11

Also look on the I of man he might of had to go back for a time on say family buisness

The Bag

The Bag Report 20 Feb 2005 12:13

I know of a Corlett in Liverpool - Allerton, not very far from Toxteth. are you connected to him? Jess

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 14:11

living now? i think i have a relative there

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Feb 2005 18:55

Louise The I O M registers are, as we speak, being transcribed onto the IGI. I know this, cos some of mine come from there and have only just appeared on the IGI. Although I am cautious about stuff on the IGI, I have had the film out and checked the entries, they were spot on. The IOM registers are a joy to read, and mine, for Kirk Michael, had some fantastic information at the end, Sunday School and Confirmation Classes, including names AND ADDRESSES! and what I suppose you would call family groups. Try googling IOM, there is a historical website, with a Trade Directory and lots of nosey information about people. Marjorie PS Your posting caught my eye because my Grandmother always maintained she was the daughter of a Master Jeweller from the IOM - he turned out to be a Pawnbroker's Clerk! Tee hee.

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 20 Feb 2005 19:04

thanks marjorie - i know how family tales get distored (my grandad said it was his grandad who was a jeweller from the isle man - more like his great great grandfather)