Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help....with disc defrag please! Sorted..thanks ev

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 20 Feb 2005 09:18

My microsoft disc defrag appears not to be working...just whirrs on for hours with no % progress showing or legends etc... Is there anything I can do?...can a get a download anywhere? Thanks. Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 09:30

In the Accessories->System Tools folder, just above the defrag tool, theres a 'Disk Cleanup' tool - never used it, but maybe worth a try. Use it first before retrying DeFrag ... Also worth deleting Internet Temp Files used by your Browser before defragging - this creates working space for the defragger to shunt files around. Click Tools-> Internet Options from the menu top row in your browser. You can get a very sophisticated defragger at www.diskeeper*com - it offers a 14 day trial, and its very good. This might fix your problem, you only have to purchase after 14 days if you want to. Hope this helps - LD

Peter

Peter Report 20 Feb 2005 09:37

If you have NOT defraged for some time it can take ages to do. First time I did it (after having My first Computer Sevral months) it took 36hrs to do. and 1% did not apper for some time.

Keith

Keith Report 20 Feb 2005 10:54

Will nudge Judy Site for you Keith

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 11:11

I havent done it for ages cos it takes so long but I remember last time someone told me to put the computer into safe mode before defragging and that makes it a lot quicker.

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Feb 2005 11:47

Joan Have you remembered to disable your screen saver first? Otherwise whenever that comes on it sometimes starts the defrag all over again. Margaret

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Feb 2005 17:52

Hi, We still have Windows98SE and have problems with defrag because some programme is alway writing to disc and then defrag has to start all over again - endless! What we do is...... Control, Alt, Delete and close everything EXCEPT systray and Explorer THEN run defrag. It will take ages if it some time since you last did it. Hope this helps. Barbara

Joan

Joan Report 20 Feb 2005 19:02

Thanks for all your help. I did as Laird suggested, then closed everything down and went for it....but I had no idea it could take so long !!!! Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 19:07

I had problems with my Screen saver when defragging. Every time I touched the mouse the Screen saver went off but then the Defrag started again from the beginning. I had to turn off my screensaver or it would have taken forever.