Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 2 immigrants??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Feb 2005 08:31

Has anyone an idea where we can find out more about a Polish man, Zygmunt BIEGALSKI b.1922, who was in UK in 1947? We don't know how long he had been here. We have tried Naturalisation records. We have his marriage to German- born Ingeborg MAYER in 1958 and death(1982) certificates, both in the Wolverhampton area and place of birth is given as Poland. On both certificates he is shown as a lorry driver, (on marriage it says (builders)).

Irene

Irene Report 20 Feb 2005 08:36

If you go to a library near where they lived( if you know where) you could you look at the electrol role to see if the family are on there. It would not give you any more details other than the address so I surpose that is a start. Also you could put a message on the trying to find board, they may have had family members that are still about. Good Luck Irene

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Feb 2005 08:52

Thank you for that Irene. Just back from posting on the Trying to Find board! We have addresses for them in the Wolverhampton area from certificates but you're right it might be an idea to find the earliest entry. When would a Polish-born person go onto an electoral list though? Does anyone know?

Irene

Irene Report 20 Feb 2005 09:12

Not to sure when they could go on the electrol role, my gt. grandfather was German and could not vote but his wife who was English could. Good Luck Irene

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 09:25

In order to vote, he would have had to have been naturalised. If you wanted to own land etc... do anything in the UK, you had to be naturalised. I think that's why my great uncles were naturalised, but not their father. If he didn't get naturalised then he probably couldn't vote either. BUT any children born in the UK would have automatically gained the right to vote, so you might want to try looking for the surname on the electoral roll and see what it turns up.

Peter

Peter Report 20 Feb 2005 09:27

Lots of IFs Here. If he had been here pre 1939 and if he had German conections (as surgested) He could of been interd for the war. If there are no German conections, then he could of ended up in one of the Polish regaments or RAF squadrons (do not know if Navy had simmler) If not might of been in Merchent navy. He might of even worked for the OSE. If he marrid his German wife, After the war then could it be they met in the war IE he was in the Army and was over there? (medale card, Service record. Time)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Feb 2005 11:59

Thanks everyone. I have a few more ideas to work on. This couple had a son and I could look for him in the electoral list, when he became eligible and see if anyone else was listed with him., and work back from there. Can anyone remember when voting for 18 years olds became possible, rather than 21? .

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Feb 2005 12:08

Voting age changed from 21 to 18 in 1969. If your Polish man isn't on the electoral register, he might be in the phone book or a street directory. I wonder if there is an Anglo-Polish society that might be able to help? nell

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 20 Feb 2005 12:08

I think it was 1970.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Feb 2005 12:13

Thank you. That will help with when to look. Nell We have been told of a Polish Society/ club in Wolverhampton but got no response when we wrote to the secretary. Perhaps we should try again.