Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cant read the place names on 1871 census!! NOW SOR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:30

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:30

I have a family named Poole on the 1871 census. JOHN POOLE 38 Shat Reath? Staffs.occ home filer?. MATILDA 34 Wednesbury. JOHN 12 Whampton ?Staffs. SARAH A 11 EMMA 4 ABEL HORTON 14 step son occ clock makers app. CHAS HORTON 12 step son occ key smith. All the children born in Whampton?...Family living Bondmills?Green Wallsall. The questions........ Where is Whampton? also where is Bondmills green, Walsall? and....what/where do you think Shat Reath is?..It is NOT Short heath. It was very badly written. A very confussed Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:38

Thats a good one! thanks Jenny :o)

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:40

hang on! is Wolverhampton in Staffs?

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Feb 2005 16:43

Definitely an abbreviation for Wolverhampton and yes it is in Staffordshire, see here Gerri http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/parishes.html regards Sam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Feb 2005 16:44

I think John's birthplace is Short Heath, Staffs, and the address Birchills Green (it is clearer on the previous image). Could the occupation be Home Tiler ? Kath. x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:49

Thankyou Sam and Kath.. The kind person that mailed me the info said that it was DEFF not short Heath! I think it must have been though. Kind regards gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Feb 2005 16:52

Kath Do you have the image? Is it possible you could send it me please? Sorry to be a pain... Gerri

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 19 Feb 2005 17:08

just gogled Whampton town and it is short for Wolverhampton