Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census on Ancestry (incomplete for Yorkshire)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Feb 2005 16:17

Hi All, Just a note that Yorkshire remains incomplete for the 1901 census on Ancestry. I know for sure that my great great grandmother Julia Turpin and her family is missing. http://www.hullwebs(.)co(.)uk/content/k-victorian/people/julia-turpin/julia-turpin.htm Regards, Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Feb 2005 16:21

Don't know if she's yours but there is a Julia Turpin aged 14 in Wakefield on the 1901 census on Ancestry. Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Feb 2005 16:24

Hi Kathleen, She was 41 and does appear on the more reliable 1901 census is complete - see http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ http://www.hullwebs(.)co(.)uk/content/k-victorian/people/julia-turpin/julia-turpin.htm It concerns me that Ancestry charge subscriptions for clearly incomplete or erroneous data. Regards, Andy ps. it also bugs me that GenesReunited deliberately manipulate messages to remove links

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Feb 2005 17:08

Hi Andy, Personally, I prefer Ancestry, as although not all census' are complete, you do get 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 as well as civil registrations and lots of other things, and at not much more than £1 a week, for the annual subscription, you can spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week searching and printing off information. I spent £6 on Tuesday getting three families images and transcriptions from the PRO site as Durham wasn't on Ancestry, then lo and behold it WAS on Ancestry on Thursday. Wish I'd waited a couple of days!!! Kath. x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Feb 2005 17:15

Hi Andy I live about a mile away from Hessle Road - in Hessle as it happens! lol Jeanette x

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Feb 2005 17:25

Hi Jeanette, My grandmother was born there in 1912, Edith Agnes Turpin. In the area around Eastbourne Street. Regards, Andy

The Bag

The Bag Report 20 Feb 2005 09:41

Whilst it is all very well to say that 'I know she was there' - and thus assume that the census is incomplete (it may indeed be i have no idea) but also bear in mind that 1. she/he/ they may have been mistranscribed 2. They may not have been ON CENSUS NIGHT 3. that your source of info may be wrong jess

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Feb 2005 12:31

Jess, I'm not sure if you read the whole thread before replying but my second post here indicates how I know for sure she should appear in the census. It's far more likely that Ancestry have not added the data, than the PRO adding it out of thin air. Ancestry are wrong to make out something is complete when it isn't because this can waste people's time if they end up going down the wrong path. The safest approach is to question every fact and try to seek out a secondary source which backs up the first source. Regards, Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Feb 2005 12:33

Susan, I agree with you that Ancestry is a good resource, only not always reliable. It is getting better over time. Regards, Andy

Wendy

Wendy Report 20 Feb 2005 15:04

Hi If you notice in the section of individual search fo rthe 1901 cenus it does fair and square only say Yorkshire it does not by no mean tell you it is complete or on the other other hand incomplete. But itf you take a look at the individual search for the 1871 census it does cover the matter by saying 'All ridings' Ithink when this does happen then you may find her and her family. I must admit I prefer Ancestry at least I don't have a time scale as to when I use my credit for. Wendy