Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beginners help needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 18 Feb 2005 23:23

This may seem like a very stupid question... But how is it possible to get your tree back further then the 1800's if registration of Birth , Marriages and Deaths only started in 1837 and Census aren't much help before 1851? For example how can i find out who the parents of a STEPHEN PORTER born i1813, Easton in Gordano, Someset? Many Thanks Genni

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 18 Feb 2005 23:30

The method I have used is to visit the Records Office for the area in question and look up the Parish records. If you have his year of birth you then look through the baptisms. The parents names are usually given. Mind you the writing can be quite difficult to read. Happy hunting. Linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2005 23:31

Genni No such thing as a stupid question - without questions none of us would learn anything very much. Pre 1st July 1837 which is when civil registration came in, people's baptisms, marriages and burials were recorded in the parish registers. So, if you know where your relative came from you can search the registers. Some registers information is on the IGI {international genealogical index} which is free on www.familysearch.org but it does need to be checked with the original registers. It's mainly births and deaths. If you google 'Hugh Wallis batch numbers' you will find a site that shows you which parishes are covered and which dates, and you can then do a search on the records you are interested in. If its not on the IGI, various family history societies have done various indexes for registers in their area so you could contact them. Parish registers are also available on microfilm or microfiche at the relevant county records office. Not all registers survive, but bishop's transcripts (extra copies) sometimes exist instead. The amount of information you get on a register entry varies quite a bit. Sometimes you get a baptism entry that gives date of birth, parents names including mother's maiden name, father's occupation and an address. Sometimes its just a name and the father's name too. nell

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 19 Feb 2005 00:34

Thank you so much it seems so obvious now, but i didn't have a clue where to look next! thank you Genni