Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Navy records question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon in

Simon in Report 18 Feb 2005 00:05

Hi i have recently recieved forms enabeling me to get my grandfathers navy records. I dont want to sound tight but the offer on the table is send £30 with the info you have. We will try to find the records but theres nogaranty. Anyone know if this is the going rate or are there a number of places to obtain naval records.? Regards PS if im being tight i wont be affended if you say so simon ((( Thank you for all the replys to my question I will be busy in my research when i get any news i will post it up.))) Thanks again for all the info. Graterfully Simon.

Julie

Julie Report 18 Feb 2005 00:06

what year are the records your looking for ?

Peter

Peter Report 18 Feb 2005 00:08

Is this from Kew as that seems a bit high

Simon in

Simon in Report 18 Feb 2005 00:10

HI Julie im looking for g-dads navy service records i have very little info thats why im hesitant to pay £30

Simon in

Simon in Report 18 Feb 2005 00:12

Hi peter the search is done by SECOND SEA LORD AND NAVAL COMMAND. Navy search TNT arcives services. regards simon

Peter

Peter Report 18 Feb 2005 00:13

Have you got his service number. if not get hold of that first as it will save a search which is what is prob pushing up the cost. to get his number find his medal card and it will have his number

Simon in

Simon in Report 18 Feb 2005 00:18

Peter Unfortunatly all i have is a name dob and a photo in the photo gramps is in his uniform with H.M.S Victory on it.Thats all i have. Regards simon

Peter

Peter Report 18 Feb 2005 00:27

If he was in ww1 or 2 then he has a medal card as long as he served in a war zone IE the atlantic, If you need more help and do not get it tonite then contact me direct tomorow and I'll see what I can do.

Simon in

Simon in Report 18 Feb 2005 00:31

Thanks for your kind offer ill see what i can find if i hit a wall i will contact you for advice.If you dont mind. yours gratefully simon.

Janet

Janet Report 18 Feb 2005 10:01

For all Navy records up to 1922 you can research at TNA Kew for free. You just need his name and you look up a special register and then order up original docs to search from the number you find on the index. Should you find his records then photocopying is minimal. For all Navy records post 1922 you have to send for application to the MOD Gosport Hants and pay £25 for them to do a search for you. You will have to prove that you are next of kin and you will have to complete a form giving them as much info as possible otherwise they cannot guarantee that you will get the records. All second world war records are still with the MOD except the medal entitlement records which are now online through TNA. The more info you have to supply the better for them and you. Records will take approx one year for you to obtain as so many people are now going after these records. I suggest that you go to TNA site and download their leaflet on Royal Navy Records. Then you will know exactly what to do and how to go about it. There is no other way to obtain these records at present. You can obtain info on the ships he was on through the internet but not the records. I suppose it is possible that MOD have increased the price to £30? It was £25 when I obtained my father's records in 1998 from the MOD at Gosport. The reason they want you to supply as much info as possible because you may be asking for records for Charlie Smith, can you imagine how many Charlie Smith there would be in the Navy!! So if you can supply them with the names of the ships he was on this will enable the MOD to find the correct Charlie Smith. www(.)nationalarchives(.)co(.)uk (Remove brackets) Janet

Peter

Peter Report 18 Feb 2005 10:17

Better advice than I could of given you Above.^ But you do have one other bit of info. At one time he was at Portsmouth posted to the Victory. Can you date the pic or is there any back ground info to help if you do not know the date. Ie a car or civy dress. There are several people on site who live near there (I'm only 12 odd miles from there) who might be able to tell you more about what should be in the pic and when it was put /removed from there.