Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you looking for relatives in Cheshire?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachael

Rachael Report 17 Feb 2005 13:03

See below.

Rachael

Rachael Report 17 Feb 2005 13:09

This may have been posted before, but I'd like to recommend this website for those who are looking for realtives in Cheshire: http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ I've found it a really useful resource. The BMD records for Cheshire are being transcribed on to the site, and can be searched very easily, free of charge. The certificates can be ordered through the local registry offices in Cheshire, which are listed on the site - if you want to order a certificate, there is a link through to an order form with all the details you need of your relatives already transcribed, together with the address details of the office you need to contact. I have used this service several times, and always get a really quick response - the last certificate I ordered arrived within 48 hours of me posting my order to them (beat that Southport :lol) The cost is a standard £7.00, the same as ordering through ONS. The coverage of BMD registrations is not yet complete, but it is extremely extensive and so is a useful place to start tracking down relatives if you want to save using your 1837online credits (especially if you're not too sure about dates and places). It doesn't give you the GRO reference, but then you don't need this if you order from the local registry offices anyway. Lancashire has a similar site at http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk, but this isn't as extensive as Cheshire's. Both sites give you information about what has been transcribed to date.

~Little Ray of Sunshine~

~Little Ray of Sunshine~ Report 17 Feb 2005 13:12

Rachel, I use both Cheshire and Staffordshire BMD sites all of the time. They are both a fantastic source of info. Claire x

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 17 Feb 2005 13:15

silly question - but how do i know which excat year my ancestor has been born in if he appears in 'Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1846 to 1850'

Rachael

Rachael Report 17 Feb 2005 13:19

I don't think you can tell from that site unless you send off for the birth certificate Louise - the early periods do tend to be 'lumped' together on this site. You could try cross-referencing the details for that period on the freebmd.org.uk site, or do a search for that period on 1837online.co.uk, that should give you more detailed information.

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 17 Feb 2005 13:20

thanks rachael. just been messing about the site though and discovered that if you click the lick for the form - it's tells you on there :D

Rachael

Rachael Report 17 Feb 2005 13:24

Thanks Louise, I'll remember that! :-)