Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Widow or not??!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 17 Feb 2005 12:42

Hello All, I have an interesting situation. In the 1871 census my gg granma Mary Robinson is a widow living with 4 of her children as head of household. When I looked at the 1881 census, Mary is still a widow but has gained two more children born 1878 & 1880!!! Any ideas???? Gillian

Joanne

Joanne Report 17 Feb 2005 12:45

it's possible! she may have or be going to remarry, or just kept popping out kids. i have one child who's 'father' by surname died 6 years before she was born and she didn't remarry for another few years!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Feb 2005 12:51

Depends how old she was. If she is of child-bearing age, she could just have had two more children (perhaps by the milkman!!!). If she was older it's worth checking what her occupation was listed as - she may have taken in or adopted them, for an income. Kath. x

Gigi

Gigi Report 17 Feb 2005 13:09

Mary was 42 in 1881 so the children are most likely hers. Her occupation is domestic servant. I suppose a way to find out is to get hold of the children's birth certs. Gillian

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Feb 2005 15:00

I think birth certificates might help, although you might not get a father's name. We have a similar situation. In 1881 my great grandmother is shown as head of household, a widow with young children,all the same surname including one of 3 mths. We had already bought a copy of her husband's death certificate, - he died in 1876. By 1891 she was shown as the wife of another man (and had 3 more daughters) but they didn't marry until 1892.