Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to search other trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 16 Feb 2005 22:12

I've only been here a few days and am very fustrated. I find possible relatives under another member. I contact them and get acces to their tree. I open their tree and cannot find the person. Try moving back and forth through the tree, opening the expansions, etc but getting nowhere. Is there no way to search a tree when you're in there. It's very fustrating with hundreds or thousands of people in a tree...... Any tips on this issue? Thnks, Bob F.

Sam

Sam Report 16 Feb 2005 22:24

Hi Bob I've had the same problem myself - I think the ony way is to ask the other person which line you should follow to get to the person you want, otherwise you could be there all day if they have a large tree. If there is another way, hopefully someone will tell us! Sam

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 16 Feb 2005 22:28

If there is another way please tell me as well :) Just gets so damn confusing, this is perhaps something Genes could 'look into' Regards Julie

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 16 Feb 2005 22:33

Press view their relations as opposed to their tree and a list of their names come up and go from there.

Sam

Sam Report 16 Feb 2005 22:36

I don't appear to have that option?

Sam

Sam Report 16 Feb 2005 22:51

I'm sorry, I'm being really thick now. Cannot find it at all. The left hand side of which screen? When I go into 'Build Your Tree' I get my tree, then I have a drop down box on the right hand side to chose someone else whose tree I have access to. I can't see an option to view their relatives? Sam (thicko)

The Bag

The Bag Report 16 Feb 2005 22:55

Green box to your left. Click on view trees- first thing above silly O2 add up comes names of people that allow you to view their tree click on view their names hey presto, list of names....i hope jessx

Sam

Sam Report 16 Feb 2005 22:55

Sorry - just found it. Do you know, I've been on this site for ages and never knew you could do that, I've always done it the hard way, open the tree and look down every branch!! Thank you Sam

The Bag

The Bag Report 16 Feb 2005 23:05

Good job i am useful to someone! Going to bed* feeling useful* Jess

Robert

Robert Report 16 Feb 2005 23:42

It worked!!!!! It really worked! THANK YOU! Bob F.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 17 Feb 2005 00:08

I have always found viewing trees on here confusing - even my own! lol I recently got the Legacy program and that will also make web pages you can upload onto the web - easy peasy. I find it easier to send the addy for that to someone who gets in touch - than give them access to my tree here. I still keep my tree up to date on here tho - its a great way to find contacts and connections - and even eliminations. And it also means my tree is backed up somewhere - just in case. lol