Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 on 1837...saving pages?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 16 Feb 2005 20:42

I've clicked the 'save' button on the image, but then when I look in the folder I've saved it to, I can't get it to open, it seems to want some different programme and I'm stuck. Any help gratefully recieved as it's getting me really annoyed!! Thanks Jane

Lucky

Lucky Report 16 Feb 2005 20:51

Hi Jane, Have you downloaded the djvu viewer from the 1837 link??

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 16 Feb 2005 20:55

Hi Diane, Yes, I've got the viewer...least I think I have as I can see the pages fine when I'm on 1837. It's just when I go to the file to try on look at it, there is just a little box telling me it's there...but i can't open it. I'm probably not explaing this very well...not really that 'hot' on the computer! Jane

Lucky

Lucky Report 16 Feb 2005 22:11

Thats really odd. I know when I had troubles before I was told to right click on properties and click open with Internet explorer. Other than that I don't know. Diane

Irene

Irene Report 16 Feb 2005 23:05

Do you have any information listed at the top of the page, I have a virus check which will not open the page unless I click on the shield, at least that's what it looks like. Irene

Padkat

Padkat Report 16 Feb 2005 23:39

I had this problem when I first joined 1837. It was something to do with Norton, can't remember what though. I had 'lost' quite a few credits because of this, but they were really good when I emailed them and gave me extra credits to compensate. They even rang me to sort it out, nice to know there were real people on the end of the line. I would suggest you email them and ask them if they know how to sort the problem, also ask them to refund credits if you have lost them. Cheers Kate

Heather

Heather Report 17 Feb 2005 07:10

Hi Jane Like Diane I find I have to open the 1861 census in internet explorer. On my XP, a yellow line appears at the top (under the address line), which says some thing like 'to help protect your security Internet explorer has resticted this file to help protect your computer from showing active content that could access your computer.' Click on that and it allows you open the file. Hope this helps, it's just so annoying not being able to open things you should! Heather

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 17 Feb 2005 14:51

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll have another go this afternoon. Jane

Trouble

Trouble Report 17 Feb 2005 14:57

Jane this also happened to me on the Briths page, but it was only one page as all the others I could see and access once i had saved them I e-mailed 1837 and explained what page and asked if they could send me the copy, Which they did.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Feb 2005 15:12

I had problems opening the saved images on a Mac at first - until Lizard support & I (together) worked out that all I hadn't done was to add '.djvu' to the end of the filename when I'd saved it! Christine

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 17 Feb 2005 15:24

Ha Ha! Sorted! Thanks so much everyone, it was to do with the yellow bar thingummybob allowing access! Jane