Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census releases & the Freedom of Information Act

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave

Dave Report 16 Feb 2005 15:06

Can anyone confirm that the 100 year confidentiality rule for censuses has been abolished by the FOI Act? I've had no luck getting information out of the National Archives enquiry service.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 15:50

Johnathan has beaten me to it!

Sue

Sue Report 16 Feb 2005 18:06

Just to let you know, was reading an ancestry magazine last month and it is proposed to change access to obtaining birth/marriage/death certificates from 2006/2007, ie to direct family only or after a certain amount of years. Reason apparently is to stop fraud. Cant remember the exact details will find the magazine and let you all know tomorrow, but I remember thinking b*gger better start getting them soon. I must say I was surprised when the records centre let me have a copy of birth certificate of someone who was born in 1942, is still living, and is my 2 cousin twice removed!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 16 Feb 2005 18:22

Hi Sue That info is out of date. It has (mercifully) been knocked into the long grass but the GRO still want to modernise their systems and doubtless a slightly amended version will appear in due course.