Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do you?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Feb 2005 12:20

How do you list all the family members on the family search site ? You know, when you have found one child,and you want to find any others!I remember someone saying the other day that there was a link in the right hand corner, but I'm having no luck...

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 12:24

No actual link. Type the fathers full name in the top rh box, and the mothers first name in the box below. Leave main name boxes blank - just specify county (I think) This will produce a list of births/baptisms from those parents (if recorded properly and linked !) Have fun, LD

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Feb 2005 12:25

Thanks for you help once again Laird!!Going to try now Lynne

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Feb 2005 12:28

Laird, that doesn't work!!

Jane

Jane Report 16 Feb 2005 12:30

Lynne, Maybe there are none listed? As a benchmark type test, why don't you try putting father's name John Smith mother's name Elizabeth or Mary ..... if that doesn't bring up any children, then you must be doing something wrong. Do remember not to put anything other than region in. Hope you find what you're looking for. Regs Jane

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2005 12:38

OR Having found one child's baptism on the IGI list on familysearch, click on the name, scroll to the bottom of the screen and if it was taken from parish records, you will see a batch number. Click on the batch nimber and you will get a new screen come up. Fill in the surname you need and then search. You will get all the children with that surname in that parish within a given timeframe. You can refine the search if necessary by putting in the parent's first names.

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Feb 2005 12:41

no, I've just tried that, and it says I have to enter the persons name and not the two parents...and THEN I typed in a batch no. which I got yesterday and it said no matches!! HELP! JAMES TOMPSON and ELIZABETH ( parents). They had ELIZABETH THOMPSON, different spelling but correct parents.Mothers maiden name FULCHER.Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. I thought I had found a Hannah?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 12:53

Lynne - perhaps the links arent properly encoded:- Anyway when in doubt RTFM:- Search for Children of the Same Parents To search for children of the same parents, enter: The region. The father’s first and last name. The mother’s first name (the mother’s last name is optional). ------------------------------------------- Searching in general.... You may now use the following to make your search more specific: Event Year range (If you select a year range, you must provide a year in the year box.) Year Country State or province Use exact spelling (If you check Use exact spelling, you may not list parents, spouse, event, or year.) Batch number Film number Batch and film number If you choose birth or christening as the event, you must also enter one of the following options: Last name, region First name, last name, region First name, last name, father’s first name, region First name, last name, father’s last name, region First name, last name, father’s first and last name, region First name, last name, mother’s first name, region First name, last name, mother’s last name, region First name, last name, mother’s first and last name, region If you choose marriage as the event, you must also enter one of the following options: Last name, region First name, last name, region First name, last name, spouse’s first name, region First name, last name, spouse’s last name, region First name, last name, spouse’s first and last name, region If you choose death as the event, you must also enter one of the following options: Last name, region First name, last name, region The International Genealogical Index is a partial index to vital records from around the world

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Feb 2005 12:57

Thank you, I think I've cracked it now.I now wish they had an uncommon surname!!!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2005 13:10

If you go to familysearch and start as in my last message, search for Elizabeth Thompson with parents James and Elizabeth.( no surnames for them) Limit your search to 1798 + or- 10 years.You will see IGI entries listed. Scroll down to the one numbered 26 in the list and click. This is for Elizabeth baptised in Bury St Edmunds, yes? Click on this entry. You scroll down to find batch number and click on it.(This particular batch only includes records up to 1800) No need to enter anything, a new screen will show with this number in it. NOW Enter just THOMPSON and you will see a long list. Oh I see you've sorted it. Well done. If on the above screen you enter James and Elizabeth as parents( no surnames for them, just leave THOMPSON in the child's box) you will still see several entries. There is a Hannah but her mother's maiden name is different. You may well find later children of this couple after 1800, covered by a different batch number.