Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 09:17

Any idea what an IRON FITTER might have done in the 1840's and 50's in Derbyshire? Nothing on google, nothing in my old occupations book and nothing on a couple of ancient occupations websites. Lou

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2005 09:40

No real idea but I wonder if it similar to a 'fitter and turner'?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 09:56

Glad it's not just me who couldn't place it as a definite occupation! I could find definitions for Iron Moulder, Monger and Turner but not fitter!

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 09:57

Probably some sort of Mechanic?

Peter

Peter Report 16 Feb 2005 10:01

could be he fitted iron tyers on to wheels. I'v herd them called irons

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 10:17

Ah...Peter! Both his brothers were Wheelwrights, so would that fit in with your suggestion? Maybe he worked for one of them???? Lou

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 Feb 2005 10:19

A fitter makes or assembles metal parts using a file etc to make them fit together. A skilled trade for which an apprenticeship was served.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 10:22

Thanks Geoff So next stop...apprenticeship records! Lou

Peter

Peter Report 16 Feb 2005 10:25

Looks like you are cooking with Gas now. so far it all seems to fit.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 10:32

Thanks everyone for your input Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 11:30

hi lou,gendocs trades good site for occupations,tony

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 11:33

Thanks Tony Will take a look. Do you know the web addie cos google doesn't give me much! Just had a look at the National Archives site but as well as not understanding my way round it, the Apprenticeship books only seem to go up to 1811 which is too early and wasn't sure where else to look! Lou

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Feb 2005 13:06

Lou, here is the addy for Gendocs: http://www.gendocs.demon(.)co.uk/trades.html Barbara

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 15:10

Many thanks Barbara